Take A Vote and Accept Your Loss

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Take A Vote and Accept Your Loss

• Tabs vs. Spaces and Singular vs. Plural, ...commas before or after?

Really?  You're debating and voting on this?  Holding meetings and discussions?  Wasting everyone's time with this crap?

I think the real question should be "DOES IT WORK?"

GET OVER IT!

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Where a standard emerges it should represent that which the most people find readable.  Yes, something else may be better for you personally, but you are going for what is best for the team.

As with all these things, having formatting and linting rules in your CI/CD pipeline and using pre-commit hooks on your local workstation simply negates any argument.  The standard has been enshrined in the CI/CD pipeline.  If you change the rules locally your code won't pass the rules in the CI/CD pipeline.

For Python work we use Black as a code formatter.  You can adjust the line length but that's it, your code gets formatted to whatever Black says us should be.  In the absence of choice there are no arguments to be had.  We will be switching to Ruff shortly.

• When IT departments start tightening their belt - the guy whose primary job is to pick arguments over tabs and naming conventions, the guy whose brightest idea is to port everything from one platform or frameworks to another simply because that's what he used in his previous job - that's who ends on up the short list of candidates for layoff. At the end of the day, companies value producers.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric, you reminded me of a comment by one of my bosses that I have shared before.  I had listed a couple things I had finished up recently, and his question was "So what have you done for me today?"  I think there is an old warning something about not resting on your laurels.

Rick

• skeleton567 wrote:

Tabs vs. Spaces and Singular vs. Plural, ...commas before or after?

Really?  You're debating and voting on this?  Holding meetings and discussions?  Wasting everyone's time with this crap?

GET OVER IT!

Working together is important, and having some sort of standards makes it much easier to move people among teams and projects. This stuff matters, but not much. It should be decided quickly.

Those examples are less common, but plenty of teams keep wanting to revisit talking about new CI tools or new dev tools, which can be a big waste of time.

• Eric M Russell wrote:

When IT departments start tightening their belt - the guy whose primary job is to pick arguments over tabs and naming conventions, the guy whose brightest idea is to port everything from one platform or frameworks to another simply because that's what he used in his previous job - that's who ends on up the short list of candidates for layoff. At the end of the day, companies value producers.

Sometimes. Unfortunately, lots of times they value the friends of the manager, who might be the loud one.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

skeleton567 wrote:

GET OVER IT!

Working together is important, and having some sort of standards makes it much easier to move people among teams and projects. This stuff matters, but not much. It should be decided quickly.

Those examples are less common, but plenty of teams keep wanting to revisit talking about new CI tools or new dev tools, which can be a big waste of time.

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

skeleton567 wrote:

GET OVER IT!

Of course, you're right.  Please pardon my sarcastic approach.  But I did sleep through a few such meetings in my day.  Or maybe they served to pull me away from the screen for a bit and allow me to reflect objectively on my current task.

Rick

• Publish well written standards, Enforce them. Period.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Publish well written standards, Enforce them. Period.

Yep, and don't spend a lot of time building them. Propose something, vote on it, and enforce it. If you find the need to amend them, do that, but don't spend time here.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply