Table Rows deleted but not shrinking in size

• Hi Folks, a general question here for better admin on a database. Have a number of tables, with approx 100 rows that clear down and re-populate every 5 minutes, however they're growing in size, up close to 10 gb even though the data is small. I deleted one of these tables, but the database is still the same size, i removed all rows and database is still the same size. How can i clear down the space. For example, i have one table now with now rows in it but the table is still over 10 gb is size. Help please!!

• Hi,

your database won't be smaler, only be deleting rows.

You have to shrink your database, if you need space on your drive. But if you shrink your datase, you may get some fragmentation on your mdf files.

You can shrink your database via gui, database ?> properties => files => just change the file size.

Or you can use a script, but be sure, the size and name should fit with your environment.

USE [master]
    GO
    ALTER DATABASE [your_database] MODIFY FILE ( NAME = N'your_database', SIZE = new_size_KB )
    GO

Kind regards,

Andreas

• briancarr wrote:

Hi Folks, a general question here for better admin on a database. Have a number of tables, with approx 100 rows that clear down and re-populate every 5 minutes, however they're growing in size, up close to 10 gb even though the data is small. I deleted one of these tables, but the database is still the same size, i removed all rows and database is still the same size. How can i clear down the space. For example, i have one table now with now rows in it but the table is still over 10 gb is size. Help please!!

I've never seen such a thing before.  The only time I've seen something even close to that is if "straggler" rows are left behind where there's only a row or two left on the pages that have been deleted from.  You've definitely piqued my interest and I'd like to try to duplicate the problem on my machine so, if you don't mind, I have a couple of questions...

1. What is the code that you're using to do the deletes?
    2. I know this will seem like a stupid question with an obvious answer but I need to make sure... what are you using to determine that the table has zero rows in it after the deletes?
    3. What are you using to determine the size of the table?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi, the tables are updated using SSIS package basically what happens is an sql command runs (delete from table) then a connection to an external odbc dbase (Select * from table) and mapped to the sql table

• just ran a report so show disk usage by table, you can see very few rows but as they keep updating, the size seems to grow

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • briancarr wrote:

Hi, the tables are updated using SSIS package basically what happens is an sql command runs (delete from table) then a connection to an external odbc dbase (Select * from table) and mapped to the sql table

Is there any form of WHERE clause on the "delete from table"?

briancarr wrote:

just ran a report so show disk usage by table, you can see very few rows but as they keep updating, the size seems to grow

Counting from the top of the graphic you included, which table is an example of the problem?  Also, what was the condition of the table when you took that "picture"?  Was it right after the DELETE?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• what happens each time the job runs is it deletes all in the table (Delete * from table) then it loads in from the odbc to the table in sql. the first table has over 2 million records so you'd expect that to be big but the one with 1105, 55 and 2141 rows i'd expect to be a lot smaller. Even if i run a delete from any of these tables and the row count =0, the size of the table remains the same

• also if i run a query over these databases it takes longer as they're large in size, even though they don't have a large row count. In test i've created tables from scratch with the same data and the'ye only a few mb in size and return results of queries straight away. Which leads me to believe it's to do with them constantly updating

• can anyone help? tp sum up, i have a number of tables that clear the data (delete * from table) then import from an odbc table. Thios happens every 5 minutes. But even though there's only 1000 records the table size keeps growing and growing. If i creat a new table with the same odbc connection and import the data it's only a few mgb. So obviously the issue is that the table is updating every 5 minutes but how do i stop it from growing?

• The problem is your destination table is actually a HEAP - and you are deleting.  The delete does not free up allocated space on the table and the next insert cannot reuse that space.  In fact - inserting into a HEAP will *never* reuse a page because all inserts are added to the end.

The fix is one of the following:

1. Add a clustered index to the table - and rebuild the index after the data load (ALTER INDEX ALL ON ... REBUILD)
    2. Use TRUNCATE instead of DELETE (TRUNCATE would be better with or without a clustered index)
    3. Perform an ALTER TABLE ... REBUILD (note: for this you should rebuild after performing the delete - which should free up all allocated pages and allow the next insert operation to allocate only those pages needed for that operation).

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hmmm... interesting.  I just found out that a 3rd party database on my system has this problem and the tables are NOT heaps.  Multiple Clustered and Non-Clustered indexes have the same problem and none of the Clustered Indexes contain LOB columns nor any "Row Overflow" data.

Sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats does NOT catch the issue, either.  It reported the largest clustered index as only having ~3GB worth of pages, virtually zero logical fragmentation, and an average page density of >99% even though the "Unused" column for sp_spaceused for the table reported more than 26GB.

Rebuilding the indexes fixed that.  DBCC CLEANTABLE had no effect.

I have no idea why the pages weren't auto-magically returned to an un-allocated status after the deletes that I know have been occurring.  I did, however, find this little tidbit (see link below).  It does seem to match what's happening but it also seems that this was meant for SQL Server 2000 or less but the article was updated as recently as April 2018.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/924947/sql-server-significantly-increases-the-unused-space-for-some-tables

Like I said before, I've never seen this issue before and previously thought it was impossible.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• p.s.  I also verified that the Compatibility Level for the database is SQL Server 2016.

For those interested, the 3rd party database is "WhatsUp" and was created by the "WhatsUp Gold" software.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Hmmm... interesting.  I just found out that a 3rd party database on my system has this problem and the tables are NOT heaps.  Multiple Clustered and Non-Clustered indexes have the same problem and none of the Clustered Indexes contain LOB columns nor any "Row Overflow" data.

Sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats does NOT catch the issue, either.  It reported the largest clustered index as only having ~3GB worth of pages, virtually zero logical fragmentation, and an average page density of >99% even though the "Unused" column for sp_spaceused for the table reported more than 26GB.

Rebuilding the indexes fixed that.  DBCC CLEANTABLE had no effect.

I have no idea why the pages weren't auto-magically returned to an un-allocated status after the deletes that I know have been occurring.  I did, however, find this little tidbit (see link below).  It does seem to match what's happening but it also seems that this was meant for SQL Server 2000 or less but the article was updated as recently as April 2018.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/924947/sql-server-significantly-increases-the-unused-space-for-some-tables

Like I said before, I've never seen this issue before and previously thought it was impossible.

This sounds like the ghost cleanup process is disabled - or it is lagging way behind.  Is it possible that someone disabled the ghost cleanup process on that system?

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams wrote:

This sounds like the ghost cleanup process is disabled - or it is lagging way behind.  Is it possible that someone disabled the ghost cleanup process on that system?

Not on the system.  All of the other databases, including some that also do deletes, are behaving as expected.  To be honest, I didn't know you could disable the ghost cleanup process.  It does sound like that's a possibility for this particular database.  I'll have to first figure out if it's even possible to do such a thing.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Again, interesting read... I knew of the ghost process but never did a deep dive on it.  I had no idea that it could be disabled and that it would also not occur on a database where you couldn't take a shared lock (although I don't believe the latter is the problem in this case).  Here's the link to the MS article I reading on this subject...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/ghost-record-cleanup-process-guide?view=sql-server-2017

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply