Table Partioning on Single Disk

• Everyone, we have just learned that our hosting company can not give us the appropriate disk layout for our partitioning scheme. My gut feeling is the Horizontal Range partitioning against 5 files on one spindle would actually perform poorer than one physical file. Any thoughts?

• You might find that it performs better if the server has multiple CPUs. I doubt that it will perform worse.

I would be more concerned about the hosting company. If they can’t or won’t give you what you need, you should look for another hosting company.

• Yeah, this is a recurring problem. The problem is the rack is physically full!! Be a month or so for the new rack. This is a very large hosting company and my request for 5 phyical RAID 10 data spindles should not be that big of deal.

• A lot of factors will determine if it will help, hurt, or do nothing.

However, it is not going to wander far into the better or worse category, so I would partition it in preparation for getting the new drives. Then all you have to do is move the partition.

And I agree, a hosting vendor that ran out of space in the rack is a bit scary. Someone managing your hardware should at least be able to come up with a better excuse than not having planned for growth. That seems a lot like a painter forgetting to bring a second brush.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply