^ : T-SQL

• ronmoses (11/20/2009)

I got tripped up on the fact that the string didn't end with %. So I answered the question for 'Jo[^n]%' instead of 'Jo[^n]'. Oops.

Add me to this list. Read the question and answered too quickly. Missed the fact the % wasn't listed. :blink:

David

• The answer, based on LIKE, is that you are looking for 3 character matches without the %.

So you have possible:

John

Jonathan

Jon

Joe

Jack

Of these, the 3 character ones are:

Jon

Joe

Of those, the pattern "JO[^n]" is matched only by Joe. Jon has an "n" in the third position and the caret (^) means do not match.

If we had added the % at the end, "JO[^n]%", then "John" would have matched as well. "Jonathan would not have matched with an "n" in the third position.

• Thank You.:-)

• Nice explanation. Thanks

Steve Jones - Editor (11/20/2009)

The answer, based on LIKE, is that you are looking for 3 character matches without the %.

So you have possible:

John

Jonathan

Jon

Joe

Jack

Jon

Joe

Of those, the pattern "JO[^n]" is matched only by Joe. Jon has an "n" in the third position and the caret (^) means do not match.

If we had added the % at the end, "JO[^n]%", then "John" would have matched as well. "Jonathan would not have matched with an "n" in the third position.

• I'm pretty sure the '^' character is a caret, not a carot 🙂

• Try this

select * from @table where [name] like 'Jo_'

• Steve Jones - Editor (11/20/2009)

The answer, based on LIKE, is that you are looking for 3 character matches without the %.

So you have possible:

John

Jonathan

Jon

Joe

Jack

Jon

Joe

Wouldn't it have been nice if the answer's explanation had given this detail, or at the very least made the point that [^n] matches only a single character? The imaginary "%" on the end of the pattern mentioned bin a couple of comments describes exactly where I went wrong, don't know why because I should be on top of this given how much I've used it) but the explanations should surely try a bit harder to educate.

Tom

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply