Sync options

• Hello

We have 2 servers on different networks and we are looking for a way to keep 3 databases on one server updated with the changes made to the 3 databases on the other server

The destination server can be read only.

One idea was to use log shipping but security was a concern - its assumed that log shipping would require a network login and could be a security issue - what access does log shipping need and where can I get details so I can assure that log shipping is not a security threat?

I am also looking to see what all our options are - how else can we do this?

thanks in advance

VERSION INFO

Copy from...

Production SP Edition

10.0.2531.0 SP1 Enterprise Edition (64-bit)

Copy to...

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP2) - 10.0.4000.0 (X64) Sep 16 2010 19:43:16 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.0 <X64> (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)

• Hello David,

First thing suggested is to keep both your DB Server to same Service Pack. Your source is SP1 and Destination is SP2.

Second, Your Servers have different Editions. So please check for the features you are using in Enterprise which is not supported in Standard Edition. Otherewise your restore will fail.

----One idea was to use log shipping but security was a concern.

Well you can review your security concern by discussing it with your security Admin. I don't think there should be any problem.

Well if it doesn't work then you can manually configure log shipping like scenario. Take log backup and copy it to destination server and then create your own job to restore it to the destination server in standby mode(which will allow Read Copy of Database).

Again, it require manual work and monitoring by you.

Thanks

• ----One idea was to use log shipping but security was a concern.

"Well you can review your security concern by discussing it with your security Admin. I don't think there should be any problem."

Where can I find info on what access is needed for log shipping? I've suggested the idea of log shipping and I get a flat answer "No, that would be a security risk" - but I know they haven't researched this option - is log shipping access the same as someone logging into their domain?

I'm looking for the specific details of the access is needed and what threats there can be to this clients network.

Thanks for your help - I will take your advice on the versions.

Thanks

Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply