Suggestion/Request: Is there a way to download Stairways for offline reading?

• ... preferably in HTML, ePUB, and/or Kindle formats?

I'd like to be able to study on my Kindle while I'm out walking. 😀

• Katerine459 (3/6/2015)

... preferably in HTML, ePUB, and/or Kindle formats?

I'd like to be able to study on my Kindle while I'm out walking. 😀

Yes there is. At the top of each article on the same line as "Rate This" and the stars, there's a "Print" selection. Click that and wait several seconds for the article to appear and the print window to show up. Then, click "Cancel" on the print window. After that, click on "File" on the menu at the top of the screen and follow your nose.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• A couple possible solutions:

1) Make a separate RSS feed, properly-ordered, for each Stairway. This would make it possible to read on any e-reader. (right now, trying to use the RSS feed for all Stairways, it gives me the just latest few articles in each Stairway, all mixed together).

2) (General suggestion) Fix the "Reading view" for your website. The Kindle Fire HD has a Reading View for websites, but when trying to read one of your articles, it scrolls off the right side of the page. If this were fixed, then we could use the Kindle's "reading list" feature to read offline.

3) (General suggestion) Make a mobile stylesheet for your website. Right now, when you try to read on the Kindle, it appears in three columns with the center column (the one with the content) in very tiny text. When requesting a mobile view, there is no change. This makes for difficult reading; mobile views should have one column, with a menu. Right now, there appears to be a mobile version of the website, but it only has the QotD... not too helpful. If this were fixed, then (among a thousand other things) we could use the Kindle's "reading list" feature to read offline.

• Or, just press the print button like I said. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Sorry, I started typing before you posted. 🙂 I'll give that a shot.

Edit: Ok, that does give me a readable view, which I can then save to my Kindle Fire. Thanks for your help. 🙂

However, it does not lend itself well to something I can read on my regular Kindle (which is far preferable when trying to read outside). It would be really nice if there was a way to download each Stairway in ePub or MOBI format.

The recommendation for a mobile view stands, btw. For a whole slough of reasons, not just this one. 🙂

• We are looking at bundling these into books. A little disagreement about whether we just bundle them as is or do some editing, so that's on us.

I hope to see some soon that you can just download.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply