Suggest a Data Modeling tool

• Can any one give me some insight on the existing data modeling tools, the best one among them and why?

Thank you in advance!!

Esha

• Hey,

You can take a look at Bi Verdict[/url], they have useful comparison information on the top competitors offering BI frameworks.

Gartner also released an awesome piece of analysis on all the top BI tools out there, if you are deciding on a BI infrastructure, this paper is exactly what you need.

/>L

-----------------
    ... Then again, I could be totally wrong! Check the answer.
    Check out posting guidelines here for faster more precise answers[/url].

I believe in Codd
    ... and Thinknook is my Chamber of Understanding

• Thank you for your quick response.

I am looking for the MSSQL Server databases, Oracle databases & BI as well. Is there any best modeling tool which can accommodate all.

Esha

• Embarcadero DBArtisan

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• ERWin

PowerBuilder

Enterprise Architect

• Heh... to err is human. To really screw something up, you need a computer. 😛

Just remember that none of these tools guarantee a good design. The human still has to know what they're doing for database design.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Lynn Pettis (3/27/2012)

ERWin

PowerBuilder

Enterprise Architect

I have used each of those and prefer ERWin.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jeff Moden (3/27/2012)

Heh... to err is human. To really screw something up, you need a computer. 😛

Just remember that none of these tools guarantee a good design. The human still has to know what they're doing for database design.

I 100% agree. It is also why I won't say which is better. It really comes down to preferences of the user, which one does the best for them. If that wasn't true there would be only one product.

• Thank you very much for your help.

Can you please elaborate on what preferences mean while selecting a data model tool.

Would the size of the database and the servers on which the data base matter.

Thanks,

Esha

• Esha,

To extend the list of already mentioned data modeling tools that particularly support MS SQL Server 2008 and Oracle, please consider SILVERRUN RDM (http://www.silverrun.com).

Representing Grandite, the vendor of this product, I am definitely biased, and of course I am tempted to mention a bunch of reasons why SILVERRUN is the best. However, these reasons may not be important for you, in other words, I would need to know your requirements first to see if SILVERRUN is the right match for you.

Please be invited to contact us via info@silverrun.com and to request more information, trial license etc.

Regarding your latest question: The size of the model or the related database is not an issue for SILVERRUN, but I am confident that there are other products which will also be able to deal with larger databases.

Axel Troike

• Personally, I like Embarcadero's ER Studio Data Architect tool.

• I have used ERwin and it's not too bad.

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply