Subscriptions - what causes them to go into Pending state?

• We often have subscriptions that go immediately into a Pending state after being triggered by a schedule. For example, I have a subscription that was executed at 12:52PM, and at 1:44PM, it is still Pending.

thank you, beth

• Some of the reasons I can think of would be invalid subscription owner, issues with the report (that would be logged), having a lot of orphaned or phantom subscriptions or pointing to incorrect report paths, email subscriptions with Agent not running. Most of those would leave some clues in the Reporting Services log file.

Sue

• Most of the time they eventually run. thank you

• Then it just could be you a lot of subscriptions during certain time frames or not a lot of threads (based on CPUs) to immediately process the subscriptions.

When the subscription job fires, it inserts a row into the ReportServer database Event table. There is a background task (that is limited in threads based on CPUs) that polls the event table. When it finds an event,  it inserts a row in the Notification table and then starts processing. You can probably watch the event table and the notification table and get an idea of where it's slowing down.

Sue

• thanks Sue.   I usually see this on our production SSRS server on days when there can be a dozen or so subscriptions fired off at approx. the same time, so I figured the server was queuing them up. Today though I've been testing on a development server, and I'm the only one doing anything.  I'll see if the DBA's can make some time to check it out. thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply