SUBQUERY not working

• Hi People!

Please excuse me, I'm very new to SQL and most of what I have learnt has come from here and Books On Line!!

I have an asset management DB - users are responsible for assets at designated sites - and I want to return searches for assets based on the sites that a user looks after.

I have a SELECT statement that has this clause on the end which is causing the problem:

WHERE tblAssets.SerialNumber LIKE '%' + @VALUE + '%'

AND   tblSites.ID =ANY (SELECT * FROM tblUsers_Sites WHERE UserID = @userid)

I can't figure out what's wrong. I get this message;

"Only one expression can be specified in the select list when the subquery is not introduced with EXISTS."

I'd really appreciate any comments and suggestions; I know I've come to the right place, you guys & gals have really been my saviours in the past!

Best regards to all

Tim

• you are selecting all the rows of table "tblUsers_Sites" when you say "SELECT * FROM tblUsers_Sites WHERE UserID = @userid" and trying to equate it to tblSites.ID

Select only one column like "SELECT ID FROM tblUsers_Sites WHERE UserID = @userid"

• Hi

probe this

WHERE tblAssets.SerialNumber LIKE '%' + @VALUE + '%'

AND  tblSites.ID =(SELECT tblUsers_Sites.ID FROM tblUsers_Sites WHERE UserID = @userid)

• Doh!!!!

Thanks Mexicano, I can't tell you how long I stared at that!  How basic can you get? I was fixing on the EXISTS aspect of the error message when the answer was there in front of me all along.

Boy, do I feel silly.  Thanks for taking the time to sort me out, it's really appreciated!

Tim

• Sorry DINESH, it's before 6am as I type this and I'm not yet awake! The above message should have included you in my thanks.  Lets hope my brain works a little better today although leaving you out of the previous postis not a good start.

Maybe I should go back to bed.....

• WHERE tblAssets.SerialNumber LIKE '%' + @VALUE + '%'

AND  tblSites.ID =(SELECT tblUsers_Sites.ID FROM tblUsers_Sites WHERE UserID = @userid)

If this expression ... =(SELECT tblUsers_Sites.ID FROM tblUsers_Sites WHERE UserID = @userid) return more than one row an error occur

Use ... IN (SELECT tblUsers_Sites.ID FROM tblUsers_Sites WHERE UserID = @userid)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply