Stupid Question

• I take it 30 hours of flying is 15 each way?  The problem is that, in Europe, we are all used to sitting next to (and sometimes fighting with) our fellow countries.  If you live in Australia or America it's hours before you get to another country; its 40 minutes through the Channel Tunnel and you're in France.

The web has made life easier but you can't get over real distance.

Madame Artois

• Guiness is OK, still not as good as a real ale. Corona? Blech! The best beer out of Ol Mehico is Bohemia. Great stuff. Hold the friggin' lime.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• re: Gift Peddie: Yep IT men are how do spell shallow?

I resemble that remark - I'm superficial, not shallow.

GP, It's actually such a rarity to see a woman in a dress or a guy in a suit on the job these days that it almost looks out-of-place. I'm sure it's more common in brokerage firms, banks, law offices, advert firms, and the like. Where I work, stretch pants and un-ironed khakis seem to be the norm...or folks wearing stuff that doesn't fit.

(in raspy, winded voice): "Back in the old days..."

In the 80's, specially during the oil boom, everyone dressed up. I actually kinda miss that.

Some parts of the country are different, I guess. I was in South Beach last fall and those folks really like to get decked out - but usually only for going out in the evening.

• I did tech support for a bank in the early 90's and had to wear a suit & tie while pulling cable and crawling under desks. Dumbest damn thing in the world.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I had fun because most of those guys have seen me without saying hi.  Hey what do you think about the six inches skirt?  I have got you thinking  superficial again. lol

My current contract is with an old line button down Software Engineering services company with dress code, casual dress days are company designated.  It is not easy.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Stella's not kidding about the distance thing from Australia to anywhere else in the world.

It's good in one respect that we're isolated in the sense of some of the issues they face in Europe but it would be nice to be able to get to another country without having to plan for a month ahead (I don't count Indonesia & Bali in this mix because I plan to never go there).  New Zealand is an amazing place - I would even (almost) recommend it over Australia (and I'm not a Kiwi )

The problem with being isolated though is that it shows in young adults.  Because there is no competition from countries next door (like in the case of Europe), there is little incentive for many to mature and basically grow up (many don't until at least 30 - some never do.  Same for both males & females!).  Unless a kid has drive and knows that they have to work to achieve something and that their pay-packet can do more than buy beer/spirits: most just seem to waste their lives.

I was born here and lived here all my life and the stark reality never hit until I went to Europe that there really is nothing in Australia for young people (like Europe) unless you drink or are into Rugby League or Cricket (or Cross-Country Basketball (Aussie Rules) if in Victoria - the only code of 'football' in this country that requires something known as 'skill' ).  I will amend that - there is nothing here if you don't have either a) a career, or b) a family (kids, etc).

Uh oh... on my soapbox again...

Steve - you've got it easy to fly 15 hours each way to get to Europe.  There is NO travelling to Europe from here that doesn't take at least 30-36 hours start to finish.  I had to do an emergency flight home in 2004 from Hannover after being told that my eldest brother had 24-48 hours to live.  I had a LOT of help from Lufthansa/Singapore Airlines and made it in 33 but still missed him by about 10 hours.  Ask anyone flying to the USA from here and they usually mention the 18-20 hour seemingly-endless stretch.  Funny thing is that when I get on a plane, I need to hold my eyes open so that I can get my first feed & coffee - then I'll sleep for 7-8 hours (no assistance )

A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

• Back to the avatar thing...the only thing I have is a pic of myself....worried about licensing on the other stuff I have...a pic of myself is just too vain...so, where's a good place on the web to get avatars?

• No idea where to get avatars. I've usually snagged photos and cropped/blurred them. My current one is my daughter and I in the car, but you can't make us out.

Yours looks fine, like a headshot for an actor!

• ah, oops, "Vanity, thy name is IT person"

• Thanks, Steve. My picture is on the way via e-mail.

To Gift Peddie:  Shallow, no.  Not all of us.  It's just that for some guys "deep" has a shallow meaning.  Did i actually say that out loud? Must be getting old.

Robyn Page is real.  Love BBC America on Dish Network.

As for the F bomb I'm into Battle Star so Frack me!  As for orientation some of us IT guys constantly have to take it in the ...

Yikes! I'm going back to work before I get banned.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Enjoy Cambridge Steve - and don't forget Monday's a Bank Holiday in Britain - traffic jams after 4pm as everyone tries to get home on the M25

And don't bother with the Ruddles - try something from local microbrewers instead. Having taken three days to travel back from Scotland (normally 10 hours including motorway jams) using the Good Beer Guide to navigate, I've decided that all the best old breweries have been taken over by major players (eg Coors) and the products gone rapidly downhill, so the only hope for real ale is the small fry.

As one of the older women in IT I see the lack of younger ladies too. My belief is they are put off by all the infrastructure side - networking, windows etc of degerees now when they prefer the creative software development programming side.

Hugs or handshakes as appropriate!

• As a younger female in the IT world, I find I often don't get taken seriously, men (and usually not women) have a tendency to go into excessive detail when they explain things to me, etc. I haven't figured out if it's an age thing or a gender thing, but sometimes it can get pretty frustrating. (Not that I'm trying to say I know everything, because I certanly don't.) Have any of the other females out there had similar experiences?

And another thing... I very rarely wear skirts or cute clothes to work because many of the guys give me these weird looks. It's really uncomfortable. So all you guys, it's YOUR fault we dress like we do!

**hugs to the Avatars Anonymous club!!**

• Hey Casey!

I will comment as the young lady I have in mind isn't a part of this forum but she is the one I mentioned in a previous post.

Simply put- I often lend an ear to this mate as she is *very* attractive and outgoing and easy to talk to, and what I hear most is that the vast majority of blokes she works with treat her like a complete dummy.  What is worse is that because she is so friendly, some of them think that it is an open invitation to send crude and suggestive messages to her phone - one of them is even a manager almost double her age.  Don't forget - this IS in IBM.  I'm not kidding - and this is happening NOW - today - yesterday - last week! 

She doesn't dress suggestively and she's not easy in any sense of the word.  I guess the vultures just sense prey and go after it regardless

The upside is that she is telling them that she has a boyfriend and I'll show up to add weight to the story if nobody believes her  

As for the IBM line of work/life balance?  It is complete and utter rubbish!

A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply