Stunned

• Lol, Looks like the person who gave these comments doesnot follow the forums. How can somebody avoid the contribution of Gale, Kalen, Kim, a long list. Aaah he is a novice guys to comment something like this.

• Okay, I have read all the posts and would like to comment.

First, Women in Technology. I want to be involved with this group. As the father of three daughters, all of which want to be or are in technology fields I want to encourage others as well. Women can bring a different perspective the table simply because they do think differently than men. They see things from a different perspective and we need that additional insight.

The problem as I see it, especially at the high school level, is the girls don't want to be perceived as nerds or geeks. Trust me, I was (am) a geek. I love working with computers.

My oldest daughter is finishing up a BA degree in Intelligence Studies (she was a 35 November in the Army, which I believe is a Signal Intelligence Analyst but I may have that wrong). See is looking at getting a second BS degree to use up her GI Bill and looking at a degree in IT. She has even asked for my advice on this.

My middle daughter is a sophomore at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University working on a BS degree in Aeronautical Engineering with a minor in Business.

My youngest, a sophomore in high school also wants to pursue a career in engineering, just not sure what yet.

There is my reasoning for supporting Women in Technology, to try and get others interested in STEM, to help encourage women to strive for areas that they may not otherwise consider. Not everyone is cut out for working in technology, male or female. The problem is we seem to discourage women from technology fields and that needs to change.

As for not naming names, I have to agree with Steve on this. Since he wasn't there he isn't in a place to do so. This article, however, points out that there are still people out there that just don't get it. Women are quite capable of knowing and understanding technology and presenting it to others.

• Lynn Pettis (8/31/2013)

Okay, I have read all the posts and would like to comment.

The problem as I see it, especially at the high school level, is the girls don't want to be perceived as nerds or geeks. Trust me, I was (am) a geek. I love working with computers.

My oldest daughter is finishing up a BA degree in Intelligence Studies (she was a 35 November in the Army, which I believe is a Signal Intelligence Analyst but I may have that wrong). See is looking at getting a second BS degree to use up her GI Bill and looking at a degree in IT. She has even asked for my advice on this.

Tell her thanks for serving.

There is my reasoning for supporting Women in Technology, to try and get others interested in STEM, to help encourage women to strive for areas that they may not otherwise consider. Not everyone is cut out for working in technology, male or female. The problem is we seem to discourage women from technology fields and that needs to change.

Me ex-GF was a programmer at my last company. She knows her stuff and is now a teaching computers at a local high school.

Meanwhile we had a programmer at my last company that earned her comp-sci degree. She was worthless. We also had a guy programmer at my last job that was worthless as well. Both are now in other lines of work.

I don't care what you have in your pants. I care what is between your ears.

----------------
    Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.

• Jim P. (8/31/2013)

Lynn Pettis (8/31/2013)

Okay, I have read all the posts and would like to comment.

Tell her thanks for serving.

Me ex-GF was a programmer at my last company. She knows her stuff and is now a teaching computers at a local high school.

Meanwhile we had a programmer at my last company that earned her comp-sci degree. She was worthless. We also had a guy programmer at my last job that was worthless as well. Both are now in other lines of work.

I don't care what you have in your pants. I care what is between your ears.

Which goes back to something else I said. Not everyone is cut out to be in this field, male or female. If you are to succeed in any field of endeavor, you have to have the aptitude and desire to work in it.

• Amit Pandey DeBugSQL (8/30/2013)

Lol, Looks like the person who gave these comments doesnot follow the forums..

Probably not, but then again you could fill a book up with all the people who do not follow these forums.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (9/3/2013)

Amit Pandey DeBugSQL (8/30/2013)

Probably not, but then again you could fill a book up with all the people who do not follow these forums.:-D

Because these narratives are trotted out without any citations or links, I have no way to know for sure about the context or back story for the remarks. However, it does seem odd that a reasonably intelligent person would say something like that in public, even if he did believe it. It's entirely possible that this was a really bad joke. Perhaps on some level he really does believe it.

I'm curious about the region where this user group is based. The thing about technical user groups is that it brings together folks from all around the globe, often times in an informal way. Machismo humor is more common in some cultures than it is in others, and it definately doesn't translate.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (9/3/2013)

TravisDBA (9/3/2013)

Because these narratives are trotted out without any citations or links, I have no way to know for sure about the context or back story for the remarks. However, it does seem odd that a reasonably intelligent person would say something like that in public, even if he did believe it. It's entirely possible that this was a really bad joke. Perhaps on some level he really does believe it.

I'm curious about the region where this user group is based. The thing about technical user groups is that it brings together folks from all around the globe, often times in an informal way. Machismo humor is more common in some cultures than it is in others, and it definately doesn't translate.

Excellent point Eric, it may have all been just a really bad joke, and until we know exactly what the facts are and what the context was noone should be suggesting calling out anyone, period IMHO. Not that you were suggesting this I mean...:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (9/3/2013)

Eric M Russell (9/3/2013)

TravisDBA (9/3/2013)

Excellent point Eric, it may have all been just a really bad joke, and until we know exactly what the facts are and what the context was noone should be suggesting calling out anyone, period IMHO. Not that you were suggesting this I mean...:-D

If he made the comment in public, like at some point during the user group meeting or a social afterward, then at least for the sake of those people who overheard it, he should write a blog post apologizing and explaining himself.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Agreed, but at this point it is just hearsay.:-D

• Lynn Pettis (8/31/2013)

Speaking as a geeky girl, I know this was one of my issues in high school. I still pursued my geeky interests (only girl in several tech classes in both high school and college) but I also kept my mouth shut outside of those classes because I didn't want to let too much of my inner geek out. I still try to hide just how much of a geek I really am.

From what I see with my younger brothers, being a geek appears to be the "in thing" now. If that impression is true, hopefully we'll see a lot more diversity in the field in the upcoming years.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• LightVader (9/3/2013)

Lynn Pettis (8/31/2013)

Speaking as a geeky girl, I know this was one of my issues in high school. I still pursued my geeky interests (only girl in several tech classes in both high school and college) but I also kept my mouth shut outside of those classes because I didn't want to let too much of my inner geek out. I still try to hide just how much of a geek I really am.

From what I see with my younger brothers, being a geek appears to be the "in thing" now. If that impression is true, hopefully we'll see a lot more diversity in the field in the upcoming years.

I tell my daughters that they need to embrace their inner geekiness, and they be defensive and say they aren't geeks. All I am trying to do is get them to realize it is a part of them. They all like math and science.

• Haven't seen an editorial create so many responses so quickly for a while.

Lol, Looks like the person who gave these comments doesnot follow the forums. How can somebody avoid the contribution of Gale, Kalen, Kim, a long list.

Seconded - I was in two minds to go to SQL in the City (London) this year but when I saw that Gail was going to be speaking (amongst others - Grant, Steve deserve a mention) - I was sold.

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• TravisDBA (9/3/2013)

Agreed, but at this point it is just hearsay.:-D

But still a great topic of discussion!

😀

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Steve: I think you are actually agreeing with me in that cancer patients (your example) fall into exactly what I was talking about. Cancer patients can come in all shapes, sizes, colors etc and would be of like mind, interest, etc. What I was commenting about was Purple Cancer Patient support groups that would include or exclude people rather than support everyone equally. Again I was just talking about my confusion as to where I stand on those kinds of groups. I don't actively oppose them I just wonder whether they are helping to oppose or continue the prejudice.

Regards,

DG

• David.Poole (8/28/2013)

First, what the <insert your own expression here>?

My expression would be "Kalen Delaney".

Ada Lovelace - possibly the first ever computer programmer.

Grace Hopper "the mother of Cobol"

Frances Allen - Won a Turing award. Not exactly small beer.

My wife's aunt was the highest ranking female officer in the Royal Navy during WWII. She was shipped all over the world installing, configuring RADAR plus training people to do the same. This is a women who at the age of 92 demonstrated to a TV repair man that the "broken" TV could be fixed by replacing a specific chip and soldering a loose connection!

My mother was a Lovelace; descended from Ada Lovelace 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 127 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply