STUFF Function

• Nice question!

• Damn it.

I answered correctly, but there was 2 same answers and I choose the wrong one

Or is there some difference between those 2 answers?

1. Vinay, Anup, Amit 2. Vinay, , Amit 3. NULL

1. Vinay, Anup, Amit 3. NULL 2. Vinay, , Amit

:angry:

• I've submitted a connect item[/url] suggesting this behavious be changed.

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (5/17/2011)

I've submitted a connect item[/url] suggesting this behavious be changed.

Thank you Tom

M&M

• Good Question and nice to know about the bug in this function.

• tabraham 36699 (5/17/2011)

Another ticky tack problem. Sure, I said 2, because the results were the same, just in a different order. It was the last of the two matching result sets. (No order by clause, so order doesn't matter. 🙂 )

By the way, what setting in SQL Server Management Studio must I have set that required me to put semicolons at the end of each command before they would run without error?

Ordering does matter because these are 3 select statements, not one with 3 results. The order comes back consistently because there are separate statements in a batch.

• An interesting question and an odd way for NULL to act in the second statement. As others have said, it seems to be contrary to how NULL is otherwise treated.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/17/2011)

tabraham 36699 (5/17/2011)

Another ticky tack problem. Sure, I said 2, because the results were the same, just in a different order. It was the last of the two matching result sets. (No order by clause, so order doesn't matter. 🙂 )

By the way, what setting in SQL Server Management Studio must I have set that required me to put semicolons at the end of each command before they would run without error?

Ordering does matter because these are 3 select statements, not one with 3 results. The order comes back consistently because there are separate statements in a batch.

Steve, the ordering issue is not that the results are in a different order, but that they are *numbered* results.

Note that on the second line, the numbers (which would seem to correspond to row numbers for the result set) are 1-3-2, not 1-2-3.

I think the intent was for the second line to read this way:

1. Vinay, Anup, Amit 2. NULL 3. Vinay, , Amit

But that's not quite what ended up in the options.

-Ki

• Burned by what SHOULD be versus what IS.

Logically, NULL plus anything should be NULL. Period, end of story. NULL means "unknown" and you can't assume that you can replace NULL with a blank string and have it be right. It should be NULL and NULL on 2 and 3. The fact that it is not is either a bug or else needs a clear BOL discussion.

• Tom.Thomson (5/17/2011)

I'm going to play devil's advocate here (like MS needs any help...). In my copy of online help the STUFF function is quoted as "The Stuff function inserts a string into another string." Note that the word "Concatonate" is not used. I wouldn't be surprised that an official argument could be made that if there is nothing to "stuff" (or insert) then the amount of characters in the third positional parameter are just removed.

But I'm going to try to remember to monitor Tom's connect post to see what happens.

• Kiara (5/17/2011)

Steve, the ordering issue is not that the results are in a different order, but that they are *numbered* results.

Note that on the second line, the numbers (which would seem to correspond to row numbers for the result set) are 1-3-2, not 1-2-3.

I think the intent was for the second line to read this way:

1. Vinay, Anup, Amit 2. NULL 3. Vinay, , Amit

But that's not quite what ended up in the options.

Well, I'll be. I read this a dozen times and didn't notice that. It's fixed. I'll award back points.

• brazumich (5/17/2011)

Tom.Thomson (5/17/2011)

I'm going to play devil's advocate here (like MS needs any help...). In my copy of online help the STUFF function is quoted as "The Stuff function inserts a string into another string." Note that the word "Concatonate" is not used. I wouldn't be surprised that an official argument could be made that if there is nothing to "stuff" (or insert) then the amount of characters in the third positional parameter are just removed.

But I'm going to try to remember to monitor Tom's connect post to see what happens.

"Unknown" is not nothing. In standard database calculation, NULL touching anything makes it NULL. There is no argument I can think of to support this activity on STUFF. Tom is completely right on this and words it very well on his connect post.

• [/quote]

Well, I'll be. I read this a dozen times and didn't notice that. It's fixed. I'll award back points.[/quote]

Bless you sir. 🙂

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Semicolons required at end of each statement??

What setting in SQL Server Management Studio must I have set that required me to put semicolons at the end of each command before they would run without error in a query window? (SMS version 10.0.4000.0)

( Apologies for reposting part of an earleir post. However it doesn't seem to be getting a response buried in the earlier post.)

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• jeff.mason (5/17/2011)"Unknown" is not nothing. In standard database calculation, NULL touching anything makes it NULL. There is no argument I can think of to support this activity on STUFF. Tom is completely right on this and words it very well on his connect post.

Oh, I thoroughly agree, I believe behavior using NULL should be consistent everywhere. It's why I selected the incorrect answer where NULL was the output for both the second and third statement. However as I type this two thirds of respondents have the correct answer. Either a lot of people agree with my hypothetical response or everyone else is running the commands before answering. I'll leave that issue to the philosophers.

I just thought it would make for an interesting discussion point.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply