Stored Procedure within a stored procedure

• Hello..

I was trying to write a stored procedure that could execute another row-returning stored procedure and apply a where and order by clause to be used with some components I wrote.

I'm probably not explaining myself properly, but I imagine that the stored procedure would look something like:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CREATE procedure sp_execute_sp

(

@procedure_name varchar(100)

,@where_clause varchar(1000)

,@order_by_clause varchar(1000)

)

as

... sql ....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately, it seems to be harder than I thought. We're using sql 7 and the hard part is getting the results of the named stored procedure into a temporary table. It's difficult because the columns may vary from stored procedure to stored procedure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

• You cant use the results of a stored proc directly in TSQL (ADO is often a better choice for these types of things). The easiest way to do it in TSQL is like this:

Insert into #Temp exec your_stored_procedure

Look hard at your reasons for doing this - if it's to keep your data access code separate, good. If you're seeking performance, you lose a lot of your hoped for gains if you start doing a lot of dynamic sql and stuff - recompiles hurt.

Andy

• A common problem. It's too bad table-valued user-defined functions can't be created that return the results of store procedure.

As for parametering the ORDER By clause, there is a neat case statement that allows you do choose which column you want to sort by

Goes something like this

select *

from table

order by

case

when @OrderBy = 1 then ColumnA end,

when @OrderBy = 2 then Columnb end

end

when

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply