Stored Procedure to Clone a Table Database Object

• I am wondering, if there is a stored procedure provided by Microsoft that allows the creation of a database object, such as a table, without pointing to the object in SMS and choosing SCRIPT TABLE AS => CREATE TO

Thanks

• Probably - if you're curious as to how it generates the script, run a Profiler session against your spid when you script object(s) out.

MJM

• Nice hint looking into utilizing Profiler to get the understanding on how a script is getting composed by SMS

Thanks

• It is a nice hint. I wonder if Profiler will actually pick it up.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (10/8/2009)

It is a nice hint. I wonder if Profiler will actually pick it up.

Yes sir, it does 😀

Here is what the SSMS UI uses to generate the SQL command (there is some other decisioning done in other calls, but this was the end result on a test table I have out there). Oh yes, this needs to be run in the database context which contains the table you want to generate a CREATE script for. It's a start, anyway.

exec sp_executesql N'SELECT

SCHEMA_NAME(tbl.schema_id) AS [Table_Schema],

tbl.name AS [Table_Name],

clmns.column_id AS [ID],

clmns.name AS [Name],

clmns.is_ansi_padded AS [AnsiPaddingStatus],

clmns.is_computed AS [Computed],

ISNULL(cc.definition,N'''') AS [ComputedText],

usrt.name AS [DataType],

ISNULL(baset.name, N'''') AS [SystemType],

sclmns.name AS [DataTypeSchema],

CAST(clmns.is_rowguidcol AS bit) AS [RowGuidCol],

CAST(CASE WHEN baset.name IN (N''nchar'', N''nvarchar'') AND clmns.max_length <> -1 THEN clmns.max_length/2 ELSE clmns.max_length END AS int) AS [Length],

CAST(clmns.precision AS int) AS [NumericPrecision],

clmns.is_identity AS [Identity],

CAST(ISNULL(ic.seed_value,0) AS bigint) AS [IdentitySeed],

CAST(ISNULL(ic.increment_value,0) AS bigint) AS [IdentityIncrement],

ISNULL(clmns.collation_name, N'''') AS [Collation],

CAST(clmns.scale AS int) AS [NumericScale],

clmns.is_nullable AS [Nullable],

CAST(clmns.is_filestream AS bit) AS [IsFileStream],

ISNULL(ic.is_not_for_replication, 0) AS [NotForReplication],

(case when clmns.default_object_id = 0 then N'''' when d.parent_object_id > 0 then N'''' else d.name end) AS [Default],

(case when clmns.default_object_id = 0 then N'''' when d.parent_object_id > 0 then N'''' else schema_name(d.schema_id) end) AS [DefaultSchema],

(case when clmns.rule_object_id = 0 then N'''' else r.name end) AS [Rule],

(case when clmns.rule_object_id = 0 then N'''' else schema_name(r.schema_id) end) AS [RuleSchema],

ISNULL(xscclmns.name, N'''') AS [XmlSchemaNamespace],

ISNULL(s2clmns.name, N'''') AS [XmlSchemaNamespaceSchema],

ISNULL( (case clmns.is_xml_document when 1 then 2 else 1 end), 0) AS [XmlDocumentConstraint],

CAST(ISNULL(cc.is_persisted, 0) AS bit) AS [IsPersisted],

CAST(ISNULL((select TOP 1 1 from sys.foreign_key_columns AS colfk where colfk.parent_column_id = clmns.column_id and colfk.parent_object_id = clmns.object_id), 0) AS bit) AS [IsForeignKey],

CAST(clmns.is_sparse AS bit) AS [IsSparse],

CAST(clmns.is_column_set AS bit) AS [IsColumnSet]

FROM

sys.tables AS tbl

INNER JOIN sys.all_columns AS clmns ON clmns.object_id=tbl.object_id

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.computed_columns AS cc ON cc.object_id = clmns.object_id and cc.column_id = clmns.column_id

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.types AS usrt ON usrt.user_type_id = clmns.user_type_id

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.types AS baset ON (baset.user_type_id = clmns.system_type_id and baset.user_type_id = baset.system_type_id) or ((baset.system_type_id = clmns.system_type_id) and (baset.user_type_id = clmns.user_type_id) and (baset.is_user_defined = 0) and (baset.is_assembly_type = 1))

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.schemas AS sclmns ON sclmns.schema_id = usrt.schema_id

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.identity_columns AS ic ON ic.object_id = clmns.object_id and ic.column_id = clmns.column_id

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.objects AS d ON d.object_id = clmns.default_object_id

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.objects AS r ON r.object_id = clmns.rule_object_id

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.xml_schema_collections AS xscclmns ON xscclmns.xml_collection_id = clmns.xml_collection_id

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.schemas AS s2clmns ON s2clmns.schema_id = xscclmns.schema_id

WHERE

(tbl.name=@_msparam_0 and SCHEMA_NAME(tbl.schema_id)=@_msparam_1)

ORDER BY

[Table_Schema] ASC,[Table_Name] ASC,[ID] ASC',N'@_msparam_0 nvarchar(4000),@_msparam_1 nvarchar(4000)',@_msparam_0=N'your_table_name',@_msparam_1=N'dbo'

MJM

• VERY cool! Thanks Mark.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I've done something similar in my own stored proc; give it a test drive, I use it for some different processes for auditing and stuff; just a handy way to get the table ddl via TSQL:

sp_GetDDL takes a tablename, or optionally schema.tablename, and returns the CREATE TABLE DDL statement, including EVERYTHING...defaults, calculated columns, PK/FK/UQ,constraints, indexes, and a lot more; in a well defined format. I even tweaked it to return extended properties if they are defined agaisnt the table or it's columns as well.

simple to use, it's just exec sp_GetDDL YourTableName

--or

exec sp_getDDL 'Schemaname.YourTableName'

see if that gets you close to what you are after.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• MJM,

Your script give error on 2005 SP2.

Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 32

Invalid column name 'is_sparse'.

Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 33

Invalid column name 'is_column_set'.

MJ

• I should remark that I did this on SQL 2008 EE. SPARSE columns types are new in that version...try comenting out that column or running a profiler session on your instance to get the correct syntax or that version.

MJM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply