Step-by-Step Guide to Clustering Windows 2000 and SQL Server 2000

• Brian Knight

One Orange Chip

Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight/stepbystepclustering.asp

• pparuchuri@hotmail.com

Valued Member

you mean for all clusterd environments(active/active,active/passive)

Edited by - pparuchuri@hotmail.com on 10/10/2001 4:53:43 PM

• jamyer

Default port

I think the number one reason people have trouble with Clusters is they slap it together without doing a lot of research and study. A cluster is much more than just a fail-over SQL server scheme! For some it may be their first experience with Advanced server, SQL Enterprise Edition, Microsoft Clustering technology, and fail-over logistics. Not to mention clients that think since they spent $$$ dollars on the setup it will be more stable and require less labor than monolithic configurations.

• nemomty

SSC Rookie

In wich directory do you put the files for the second installation? In the same path where the files from the first node are?

• Brian Knight

One Orange Chip

quote:

In wich directory do you put the files for the second installation? In the same path where the files from the first node are?

If you accept the default, it will go into a separate directory under the Program Files\MSSQL$InstanceName directory. It goes on the local drives for each server.

Brian Knight

bknight@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight

• Arkady75

Valued Member

I have not an added option for a virtual server in the setup

Do you have an idea why ?

Thanks

Edited by - Arkady75 on 11/28/2002 10:17:49 AM

• Arkady75

Valued Member

Hum, i need maybe the Enterprise Edition of SQL 2000 and not the Standard Edition....

Isn't it ?

• Brian Knight

One Orange Chip

That would do it. Clustering is an Enterprise Edition feature only.

Brian Knight

bknight@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight

• Rachell-76794

Ten Centuries

Can you specify if you need apply either window or sql server service pack, how do you apply, Can these be down while server on line?

Thanks

Rachel

• shwetha

Ten Centuries

Hi Brian, your article is excellent, do you have any article on moving from active passive to active active cluster, I really appreciate -

Thanks & regards!

• Robert Manello

SSC Journeyman

Great article.  I was searching for a while for an automated means to be able to schedule failovers in my active/passive environment (to apply service packs that require a reboot for instance) -- I found a helpful article for this that I thought others may be able to utilize:

http://www.agilist.com/articles/clusterFailover.asp

• Dony

Ten Centuries

Could you also offer Windows server 2003 and SQL 2000 installand config?

• Robert Stewart

Hall of Fame

Or a Win 2003 and SQL 2005 configuration. With 2008 coming out shortly, I wonder how much longer MS will be supporting 2000.

• sqldba-294117

Hall of Fame

I have been really greatfull if this article was for Windows 2003 & SQL Server 2005. As SQL Server 2000 is set to expired APRIL 2008. So it was great to see this article coming after 8 years.

• icata

Hall of Fame

Thank you very much for this article, it helped me a lot few years ago when I had to install my first cluster.

I think it would be also interesting to see what are the changes between clustering Win 2k3/SQL2k5 versus Win 2k8/SQL2k8, or an overview of Win 2k8/SQL2k8 clustering.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply