STATS_DATE using qualified parameters

• I'm writing a SP to keep track of and update  statistics on databases in our SQL Server 2000 environment. The stored procedure will execute from a "common" database (DBA) so I've written the SP to accept a database name (and other parameters).

Everything works fine until I try to execute the STATS_DATE function (which takes a table id and an index id as parameters). Apparently I can't qualifiy the parameters... :

select stats_date(object_id('mydatabase.dbo.sysobjects.id'), ...)

So... if there's not a way to do this through the system function is there another way to get the information?

Thanks!

Glenn

• would something like this work:-

declare @db varchar(255)

set @db = 'mydatabase'

declare @sql varchar(1024)

select @sql = 'select stats_date(object_id(''' + @db +'.dbo.sysobjects''), 1)'

exec(@sql)

• System functions are local to the scope. You need to "get into that database shoes"

USE DBA

GO

CREATE PROC dbo.GetStat @ObjectID int, @IndId smallint

AS

select stats_date(@ObjectID, @IndId )

GO

EXEC('use mydatabase

EXEC DBA.dbo.GetStat Object_ID(''dbo.Table'', 1)

')

• Serqiy -

I see where you're going with this but given the scope constraints I don't see how this will work. The GetStat SP still executes in the scope of the DBA database (not the target database). I've incorporated your suggestion into the following code snippet. The results still yield null values for the stat_date resultset:

DBA | 1800-0101 00:00:00.000

I don't want to embed DBA/ADMIN SP into the individual databases and/or master DB.

So... if I can't get the stat_date to work - is there another way to get the table statistics last update datetime?

Thanks!

Glenn

CREATE PROCEDURE DBA_GetTableStats

@TableId int,

@IndexId smallint

AS

SELECT db_name() as DB, IsNull(stats_date(@TableId, @IndexId), '01-01-1800')

GO

DECLARE @dbname varchar(50)

SET @dbname = 'targetDB'

CREATE TABLE #STATS (

name  varchar(100),

tableid  int,

[index]  varchar(100),

indexid  smallint,

rowmodctr int,

statdate datetime)

INSERT #stats EXEC ('

select

obj.name,

obj.id as TableId,

idx.name,

idx.indid as IndexId,

idx.rowmodctr,

NULL

from 

' + @dbname + '.dbo.sysobjects obj inner join

' + @dbname + '.dbo.sysindexes idx on obj.id = idx.id

where

obj.type="U" and

idx.indid between 1 and 254 and

idx.rowmodctr>=

case

when idx.rows <=500 then 500

else (idx.rows*0.2)+500

end')

DECLARE @tblid int

DECLARE @idxid smallint

DECLARE @statdate datetime

DECLARE cur CURSOR FOR Select tableid, indexid from #stats

OPEN cur

FETCH NEXT FROM cur INTO @tblid, @idxid

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

EXEC('USE ' + @dbname + ' EXEC dba.dbo.dba_GetTableStats @tableid=' + @tblid + ' , @indexid=' + @idxid + '')

UPDATE #stats SET statdate = @statdate -- to be replaced with EXEC results (when it's working!!!)

WHERE tableid = @tblid and indexid = @idxid

FETCH NEXT FROM cur INTO @tblid, @idxid

END

CLOSE cur

DEALLOCATE cur

select * from #stats

drop table #stats

• If you pay close attention at what sergy posted you'll realize that there is a "use" statement *in* the dynamic sql

exec (' use ; do your stuff') -- back to current db context.

Cheers,

* Noel

• If you'll notice - I incorporated the Use statment into the test code... It does not cause the stats_date function to execute in the target database context but rather in the DBA database context.

Everything work fine provided that I execute within the target context - but that doesn't provide the flexibility that I'm after.

I'm going to look into using OSQL with an execution script.

Glenn

• Well I am not sure then what is "your" issue, because

exec (' USE dba_data

SELECT object_name(i.id)table_name, rows, rowmodctr,''Index Name'' = i.name, ''Statistics Date'' = STATS_DATE(i.id, i.indid)

FROM sysindexes i

WHERE i.name not like''sys%''')

WORKS 100% of the time for me *from any database* and it returns *correct results*

Cheers,

* Noel

• Noel -

Thanks! That's what I've been trying to do - just can't seem to get it to work with the EXEC...

Glenn

• noeld (11/9/2006)

exec (' USE dba_data

SELECT object_name(i.id)table_name, rows, rowmodctr,''Index Name'' = i.name, ''Statistics Date'' = STATS_DATE(i.id, i.indid)

FROM sysindexes i

WHERE i.name not like''sys%''')

WORKS 100% of the time for me *from any database* and it returns *correct results*

Well, I am certainly late to the game seeing as it has been almost 3 years since the last post here but I came across this thread looking for some of the same info and thought I could at least help with the discrepancy noted above.

The reason that Noel's SQL works and that Sergiy's Proc does not is that Noel is using a USE statement IN the SQL that also executes STATS_DATE whereas the Proc listed above by Sergiy simply calls STATS_DATE in the Proc and does not change the local context INSIDE the Proc. Hence, the USE statement issued by Sergiy in the EXEC at the end of the example really does not change the context of where STATS_DATE is running from. The only way to do that is to call EXEC within the Proc and in doing so it would then look more like what Noel posted. Here is something that does work since it takes a parameter for the DBName so that it can be used INSIDE the Proc to change the context inside an EXEC that will call STATS_DATE:

USE [Common]

GO

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.GetStats (

@DBName SYSNAME,

@ObjectID INT,

@StatsID INT

)

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @StatsSQL NVARCHAR(500)

SET @StatsSQL =

N'USE [' +

@DBName +

N']; SELECT STATS_DATE(' +

CONVERT(NVARCHAR(10), @ObjectID) +

N', ' +

CONVERT(NVARCHAR(10), @StatsID) +

N');'

EXEC (@StatsSQL)

GO

And then it would be called from any DB as follows:

EXEC Common.dbo.GetStats 'Test', 1463012293, 1

Now, what I would REALLY love to know is:

What is the underlying meta-data table (or DMV) that this date comes from so I can query it directly?

Take care,

Solomon Rutzky...

SQL#https://SQLsharp.com/ ( SQLCLR library ofover 340 Functions and Procedures)
    Sql Quantum Lifthttps://SqlQuantumLift.com/ ( company )
    Sql Quantum Leaphttps://SqlQuantumLeap.com/ ( blog )
    Info sitesCollations     •     Module Signing     •     SQLCLR

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply