Startup parameter -x

• Hi all,

I would like to obtain some from the field feedback regarding the -x startup parameter on SQL Server 2000.  I understand it could help you boost performance, but you sacrifice the cache hit ratio, which can be a better performance booster. 

Can you guys please provide your experience on setting this parameter and under what circumstances?

Thanks,

Ignacio

• I've not used this myself.

But it (from BOL):

"Disables the keeping of CPU time and cache-hit ratio statistics. Allows maximum performance."

It doesn't "sacrifice the cache hit ratio".

• I read that and I think I see your point.  However, in BOL, the implications of disabling statistics is not clear (maybe for monitoring....).

Any other take on this?

Ignacio

• It just cuts down the number of perfmon counters loaded and used.

I guess these ones are more intensive to monitor, thus leaving them out frees up resources.

It will have no negative effect on SQL Server, aprt form you have less choice of things to monitor

• Disabling 'cahche hit' "stuff" sounds cavalier to me. The primary performance monitoring on a server wide basis usually starts there. I'd probably only think about turning on this flag if I knew I had a very, very well tuned system.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply