Standard to Enterprise Edition upgrade or reinstall

• I just installed a new SQL 2014 Standard Edition with Rpt Services and Analysis Services and realized I installed Standard Edition instead of the required Enterprise Edition. (Yes we have a license for the Enterprise Edition).  My question is should I deinstall the Standard Edition or... I think in the Enterprise Edition there is an Edition upgrade if I remember correctly.  If so, which should I do?  Any help is appreciated.

• Summer90 - Wednesday, August 9, 2017 12:25 PM

I just installed a new SQL 2014 Standard Edition with Rpt Services and Analysis Services and realized I installed Standard Edition instead of the required Enterprise Edition. (Yes we have a license for the Enterprise Edition).  My question is should I deinstall the Standard Edition or... I think in the Enterprise Edition there is an Edition upgrade if I remember correctly.  If so, which should I do?  Any help is appreciated.

You will have to reinstall, would consider wiping the box and start from scratch.
    😎

• The steps are listed here:
    Upgrade to a Different Edition of SQL Server 2014 (Setup)

I don't necesssarily trust doing those and if there is an opportunity to do so, I would opt to do a wipe of everything and reinstall on a clean server as already mentioned.

Sue

• I guess I should have done a quick internet search first.   Microsoft does have the ability to upgrade Editions.  I will try that first and kick the tires of it before I start to install the app databases to it.

Has anyone done this is my next question?

• I've done edition upgrades with the DB engine, but not with Analysis Services or Reporting Services. I don't know how SSAS handles it.
    Uninstall and reinstall is safer.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:36 AM

I've done edition upgrades with the DB engine, but not with Analysis Services or Reporting Services. I don't know how SSAS handles it.
    Uninstall and reinstall is safer.

And ultimately probably faster.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• the edition upgrade is no problem, it just updates the sql server edition.
    The dlls required are already on disk, theyre not activated until the edition is updated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks everyone for your input.  I did an Edition upgrade and it says succeeded.  It stated it applied this to AS and RS as well.

• Summer90 - Friday, August 11, 2017 5:47 AM

Thanks everyone for your input.  I did an Edition upgrade and it says succeeded.  It stated it applied this to AS and RS as well.

This is what you need to do it..there is nothing that SQL upgrade cant upgrade from its components ... Enjoy

@JayMunnangi

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply