Stairway to Biml Level 6 - Programming with Metadata

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stairway to Biml Level 6 - Programming with Metadata

• reevesiii (11/9/2016)

Comments posted to this topic are about the item <A HREF="/articles/BIML/147945/">Stairway to Biml Level 6 - Programming with Metadata</A>

Thanks for the well-written article. I haven't used BIML for a few years and it seems that it has evolved quite a bit since then.

I notice that you do not mention support for VS2015 (and by extension SQL Server 2016). Was that a deliberate omission?

The last time I looked at BIML, it did not support the project deployment model, with project-scoped connections and parameters. Is that still the case? This is a deal-breaker for me, if it's still true.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I'm tinkering around right now with BIML via BIML Express, in VS 2015 Community Edition & SQL Server 2016 Express installed locally (named instance). Works fine enough for me!

From what I understand, BIDS Helper 1.7's BIML gets disabled for VS2015. That's OK, the other bits besides BIML still work. So, jump thru Variegence's hoops, get key, and download and install BIML Express. Despite find-and-replace (only find works) not working currently in BIML Express, not fighting with the normal XML editor's Intellisense quirks w.r.t. BIML is quite nice.

• Nice overview, thanks.

• Question... using the BIML DOM stuff (ala the BIML-emitter file), is it possible to set up the BIML code to define package configuration files to store login information for servers, services, etc., but then use the values in the next step in BIMLScript to get values from the config files to set variables in order to build up connection managers in the BIML compile process?

It looks like it might be possible?

• Thanks for the update, but our biml tools BIML Express Varigence doesn't seem to work wit VS 2022. Is BIML still actively developed. Is there an alternative for BIML Express Varigence?

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Jo Pattyn. Reason: tool used
  • --Deleted

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply