SSRS - How to configure date in report in usa

• Hi, I have a report that I want to configure that will be sending out a report monthly to users. The trouble I am having is trying to get the excel file to send data to those users on the first day of a month with data of the previous month. I am not sure what to put into the date format in the query of the report. Can anyone help?

• So you will want to do some date math.

You should treat all dates as the ISO standard and to avoid any ambiguity use YYYY-MM-DD formatting when passing dates to SQL.

So on the first of the month you would want to do something like the below where clause in your query.

WHERE datecolumn >= dateadd(month,-1,convert(date,getdate())) and datecolumn < convert(date,getdate())

Which would get you the data for this date range, assuming you ran this on 2022-03-01.

2022-02-01 00:00:00.000 to 2022-02-28 23:59:59.997

• Ant-Green wrote:

WHERE datecolumn >= dateadd(month,-1,convert(date,getdate())) and datecolumn < convert(date,getdate())

Which would get you the data for this date range, assuming you ran this on 2022-03-01.

2022-02-01 00:00:00.000 to 2022-02-28 23:59:59.997

This code will only work on the first day of the month

This will work for any date in the next month for the preceding month

WHERE YourDateColumn >= DATEADD(day, 1, EOMONTH(getdate(), -2))
    AND YourDateColumn < DATEADD(DAY, 1, EOMONTH(getdate(), -1))

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Another option

WHERE YourDateColumn >= DATEADD(month, DATEDIFF(month, 0, GETDATE()) - 1, 0)  --First of previous month
    AND YourDateColumn < DATEADD(month, DATEDIFF(month, 0, GETDATE()), 0) --First of this month

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Ant-Green wrote:

So you will want to do some date math.

You should treat all dates as the ISO standard and to avoid any ambiguity use YYYY-MM-DD formatting when passing dates to SQL.

Ah, be careful now.  In SQL Server, the hyphenated version of the "ISO Standard" as you have it is actually language sensitive.  If the current language is, for example, FRENCH, then the hyphenated version comes out in the YYYY-DD-MM format.   I'm not sure what Excel does if the language is different.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeffrey Williams wrote:

Another option

WHERE YourDateColumn >= DATEADD(month, DATEDIFF(month, 0, GETDATE()) - 1, 0)  --First of previous month
    AND YourDateColumn < DATEADD(month, DATEDIFF(month, 0, GETDATE()), 0) --First of this month

That's what I use because it has a very high amount of symmetry when using different datatypes .  The other advantage is, although the code is slightly longer than the EOMonth() method, it's also a little over 20% faster, to boot.

And why MS didn't come out with an FOMonth() function at the same time they came out with EOMonth is just crazy to me especially you consider how many people make the mistake of using EOMonth() when times are present in the data.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply