ssrs 2008 calling subreports

• I have an ssrs 2008 report that has 1 main ssrs report and 7 subreports. The main ssrs report and the 7 subreports
    are all executed at the same time. Sometimes the executions are extremely slow.

Thus my question is there a way to improve the performance of an ssrs 2008 report calling 7 subreports?

If so, would you tell how how to solve my performance problem and/or point me to urls that will tell me how to improive the performance of the reports?

Also if there is no way to improve the performance of these reports, would you let me know that also?

• Not near enough information to tell. Reducing the number of subreports by merging datasets, if possible.

You know you sound exactly like Wendy Elizabeth?  Same expressions and speech patterns, same types of questions, everything.

• dianerstein 8713 - Tuesday, February 21, 2017 10:45 AM

I have an ssrs 2008 report that has 1 main ssrs report and 7 subreports. The main ssrs report and the 7 subreports
    are all executed at the same time. Sometimes the executions are extremely slow.

Thus my question is there a way to improve the performance of an ssrs 2008 report calling 7 subreports?

If so, would you tell how how to solve my performance problem and/or point me to urls that will tell me how to improive the performance of the reports?

Also if there is no way to improve the performance of these reports, would you let me know that also?

Subreports can help with resuse but sometimes you need to just move some of the subreports to the main report.

You need to identify what area is consuming the most time - data retrieval, processing or rendering. You can find that out by querying the ExecutionLog3 view in the Report Server database. The following document has performance tuning tips depending on what area seems to be the problem:
    Troubleshooting Reports: Report Performance

Sue

• In my limited experience, I have found reports with subreports are poor performers in general.  First make sure the subreport queries are fast and returning no more fields than they need to.  If I can find another way to calculate whatever field(s) a subreport is populating and eliminate the subreport, I will.  Piet's advice about seeking ways to merge datasets is worth pursuing as well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply