SSMS is Free

• Eric M Russell - Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:29 AM

What I've observed about SSMS 2016, since it was ported to VS framework, is that it takes longer to load and will occasionally freeze up. I'm guessing it has more junk in it's trunk than the previous versions. There have been occasions where I will have to start Task Manager, kill it, and then fire up SSMS 2014 just to take complete a quick task.

It's always been on the VS framework. SSMS is esssentially one big, fat, add-in. It has ported from the VS2007(?) shell to 2010, then recently to 2015 and now 2017.

I think the slowness in SSMS for SQL 2016 is the VS2015 shell. SSMS v16 and now v17 are slow as well, but 17 seems a bit more stable.

• I clicked on the link to download SSMS v17.1 in the SQL ServerCentral.com The Voice of the DBA feature for today. I have deactivated, un-installed, and re-installed all the products in my bundle. True, I opened my old version of SSMS first and re-activated the bundle. But I thought this would cause the tools to be available in v17.1. Can I have the tools in both SSMS versions?

Also, since I uninstalled Source Control, now I get an error saying that ...AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 4\WorkingBases\dra34mxh.j1p' does not exist.

Regards,

Carla Hepker
    Documentation: A Shaft of light into a coded world.

• You can report this at the Redgate Community Hub forums, but I have both SSMS 2016 and SSMS v17 and both have tools from Redgate in them.

• Sorry, Community Hub link

• I hate the fact that neither SSMS or Books Online comes with SQL Server anymore.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:15 PM

I hate the fact that neither SSMS or Books Online comes with SQL Server anymore.

SSMS and MSDN get updated periodically, monthly in the case of SSMS, so even if you install from DVD, you would have to turn around and download the latest versions anyhow.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Friday, July 21, 2017 7:23 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:15 PM

I hate the fact that neither SSMS or Books Online comes with SQL Server anymore.

SSMS and MSDN get updated periodically, monthly in the case of SSMS, so even if you install from DVD, you would have to turn around and download the latest versions anyhow.

It actually used to be part of Sp/Cu updates.  The problem with the online stuff is that it's a lot less "dedicated" to what you're trying to find, requires you to jump to many different pages instead of just the one or two in older BOL, and requires the ability to use the internet on servers, which I can't do on many of my servers due to security requirements.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• What happens when you go to use some external tool from within SSMS V17.x? For example, when I can I like to use SQL Profiler. If I try that from within SSMS v17.x does it use some version of SQL Profiler v17.x? Or does it just use whatever's on your system?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I just miss the days when SSMS was 160 MB download, instead of a 900 MB download.

• Jeff Moden - Friday, July 21, 2017 7:56 AM

Eric M Russell - Friday, July 21, 2017 7:23 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:15 PM

It actually used to be part of Sp/Cu updates.  The problem with the online stuff is that it's a lot less "dedicated" to what you're trying to find, requires you to jump to many different pages instead of just the one or two in older BOL, and requires the ability to use the internet on servers, which I can't do on many of my servers due to security requirements.

I never have a need for BOL on the server. I'm always RDP from a PC.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Jeff Moden - Friday, July 21, 2017 7:56 AM

I find downloading SSMS easy. I keep a copy on a drive for use on new machines/VMs.

Can you not download BOL locally and move to a server? I thought there was an easy way to move this offline once you had SSMS. Since I'm always online, I haven't worried, but I'd certainly want this if I were disconnected in more offices. There is this: http://ariely.info/Blog/tabid/83/EntryId/176/Installing-Microsoft-SQL-Server-2016-Book-online-for-offline-use.aspx

I do think the new  MS Docs organization is worse, but it is improving as people submit issues and requests. I think they are responding much better than most companies have in the past. There is now the ability to submit a PR on Github for the docs, so you can get a change approved quickly: This is for database instances

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, July 21, 2017 12:08 PM

Jeff Moden - Friday, July 21, 2017 7:56 AM

I find downloading SSMS easy. I keep a copy on a drive for use on new machines/VMs.

Can you not download BOL locally and move to a server? I thought there was an easy way to move this offline once you had SSMS. Since I'm always online, I haven't worried, but I'd certainly want this if I were disconnected in more offices. There is this: http://ariely.info/Blog/tabid/83/EntryId/176/Installing-Microsoft-SQL-Server-2016-Book-online-for-offline-use.aspx

I do think the new  MS Docs organization is worse, but it is improving as people submit issues and requests. I think they are responding much better than most companies have in the past. There is now the ability to submit a PR on Github for the docs, so you can get a change approved quickly: This is for database instances

Understood and agreed but those are all work arounds that we didn't have to do before and that's my point.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Saturday, July 22, 2017 5:50 PM

Understood and agreed but those are all work arounds that we didn't have to do before and that's my point.

It's progress and change. Some people think this is great, some don't. I don't have a good answer here. Supporting both is hard, and I'd say this gives more flexbility to more people.

There certainly are some changes that annoy me, and  I dislike the new organization of BOL, but I'm sure some like it.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Sunday, July 23, 2017 11:02 AM

Jeff Moden - Saturday, July 22, 2017 5:50 PM

It's progress and change. Some people think this is great, some don't. I don't have a good answer here. Supporting both is hard, and I'd say this gives more flexbility to more people.

There certainly are some changes that annoy me, and  I dislike the new organization of BOL, but I'm sure some like it.

Again... understood and appreciated but it's amazing to me what some would define as "progress".  I've found that change frequently provides no progress and sometimes hurts progress.  Scattering parts of a product across the 4 winds doesn't seem like progress to me.  I can't see how not doing such a scatter would have impeded progress or support in any way because they were already doing pretty darned good.  I can see such scatterings as contrary to what NetOps is all about and actually making it more difficult for teams to communicate and cooperate.

Of course, I could certainly be incorrect in all of that.  We'll have to wait and see what happens.  Of course, 3,500 MS employees already know. 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Currently using SQL Server 2014 and have a solution (.ssmssln) with over 3000 scripts checked in to Team Foundation Server.  Downloaded 17.1 and could find no option for setting up Source Control.  Seems like Visual Studio would be able to handle .ssmssln files... they are not all that different from .sln files.  I saw something about Source Control option being deprecated.  Is that true?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply