SSMS + Azure Data Studio 18.11.1 takes forever to install

• I had a previous version of SSMS and ADS installed, and somehow my install got screwed up, so I uninstalled them both (at least I think I did it right) and reinstalled. Or tried to. 18.11.1 gets to the "Loading packages. Please wait..." screen and just parks there for as long as I let it run. Never installs. I'm on Windows 10 Home (if it matters). Do I need a previous version of SSMS/ADS? The last time I installed this stuff, I would have sworn they were separate installs, and they installed and worked just fine.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? (Maybe not running the installer with Run As Admin?)

Can I do something sneaky like run a PowerShell script to install SQL Server 2019, reboot, install SSMS, reboot, install ADS and whatever SSRS/SSIS/SSRS/SSAS is called now? I'd rather just let the stupid thing just run overnight and take its time - as long as it's done by morning.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  pietlinden.
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I hope you rebooted your computer between uninstall and install

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Not that it helps, but 18.12.1 is the current SSMS version, and the upgrade from the previous version did take longer than I expected.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• If it makes you feel better 19 (in beta) isn't installing very quickly either.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• How long does it take? I'm just wondering, because this installer seems to park at the "loading..." screen forever and ever. (A good 10-15 mins?) Maybe i should start it and go run errands or something

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Okay, that was fun. Finally gave up and reset my install of Win10, and reinstalled all the software. apparently some settings somewhere went haywire, causing the SQL/Azure Data Tools install to crash. Resetting and reinstalling fixed it. I was hoping that wouldn't be the issue, but nothing else would fix it.

• Thank you for the feedback

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I started to suspect the OS was screwy after a while because I'd never had near that much trouble installing. I should have done the smart thing and emailed myself the setup script. =)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply