SSMS + Azure Data Studio 18.11.1 takes forever to install

• I had a previous version of SSMS and ADS installed, and somehow my install got screwed up, so I uninstalled them both (at least I think I did it right) and reinstalled. Or tried to. 18.11.1 gets to the "Loading packages. Please wait..." screen and just parks there for as long as I let it run. Never installs. I'm on Windows 10 Home (if it matters). Do I need a previous version of SSMS/ADS? The last time I installed this stuff, I would have sworn they were separate installs, and they installed and worked just fine.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? (Maybe not running the installer with Run As Admin?)

Can I do something sneaky like run a PowerShell script to install SQL Server 2019, reboot, install SSMS, reboot, install ADS and whatever SSRS/SSIS/SSRS/SSAS is called now? I'd rather just let the stupid thing just run overnight and take its time - as long as it's done by morning.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  pietlinden.
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I hope you rebooted your computer between uninstall and install

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Not that it helps, but 18.12.1 is the current SSMS version, and the upgrade from the previous version did take longer than I expected.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• If it makes you feel better 19 (in beta) isn't installing very quickly either.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• How long does it take? I'm just wondering, because this installer seems to park at the "loading..." screen forever and ever. (A good 10-15 mins?) Maybe i should start it and go run errands or something

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Okay, that was fun. Finally gave up and reset my install of Win10, and reinstalled all the software. apparently some settings somewhere went haywire, causing the SQL/Azure Data Tools install to crash. Resetting and reinstalling fixed it. I was hoping that wouldn't be the issue, but nothing else would fix it.

• Thank you for the feedback

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I started to suspect the OS was screwy after a while because I'd never had near that much trouble installing. I should have done the smart thing and emailed myself the setup script. =)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply