SSIS task causes tempdb to grow uncontrolled

• I have a very strange problem where a execute SQL task in a SSIS package completely fills up my tempdb database (15GB) by executing a sproc. The weird thing is that when the exec sproc command is run from the query window it uses about 150MB of tempdb space and completes without issue.. I have done searches on the internet to try and find some sort of solution or explaination of the cause but haven't found anything

• Intriguing

What type of object are you using as your SQL task's datasource? (native?)

What does the SP do?

• The datasource is a OLE DB and basically the sp gathers some data from a couple of table, does some calc and then inserts it into another table in the same database. The strange this is that the ssis package has been running for months and then just suddenly started doing this.

• romanoplescia (1/18/2011)

The datasource is a OLE DB and basically the sp gathers some data from a couple of table, does some calc and then inserts it into another table in the same database. The strange this is that the ssis package has been running for months and then just suddenly started doing this.

If the package has not changed and you start to experience tempdb space problem this is definitly not related to SSIS.

There are many features in MSSQL that use tempdb.. These articles may help you identify what is taking so much space.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345368.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176029.aspx

Let me know as your investigation progresses I may be able to help with more specific questions...

• Thanks for the links above. As I previously mentioned it only seems to fill up the tempdb if the the sp in question is executed from the SSIS package, when executing from the query window it only uses about 150 MB of space.

Some of the stuff that I have been doing to try cure this problem is to remove some of the temporary tables in the sp and create them as physical tables in the db, recompile execution plans and dropped indexes on insert tables. None of this seems to have made any difference. The sp doesn't use any cursors, UDFs and none of the tables have any triggers on them, so I'm a bit stumped :unsure:

• romanoplescia (1/18/2011)

Thanks for the links above. As I previously mentioned it only seems to fill up the tempdb if the the sp in question is executed from the SSIS package, when executing from the query window it only uses about 150 MB of space.

Some of the stuff that I have been doing to try cure this problem is to remove some of the temporary tables in the sp and create them as physical tables in the db, recompile execution plans and dropped indexes on insert tables. None of this seems to have made any difference. The sp doesn't use any cursors, UDFs and none of the tables have any triggers on them, so I'm a bit stumped :unsure:

Using the methods described in the 2nd article, are you able to identify which objetcs are taking so much space?

• romanoplescia (1/17/2011)

I have a very strange problem where a execute SQL task in a SSIS package completely fills up my tempdb database (15GB) by executing a sproc. The weird thing is that when the exec sproc command is run from the query window it uses about 150MB of tempdb space and completes without issue.. I have done searches on the internet to try and find some sort of solution or explaination of the cause but haven't found anything

It sounds like it could be a bad execution plan is cached. Not sure how to clear those from SSIS. You could add a "with recompile" to the sproc you're running and see what happens.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Happy days 😀 Problem's been solved.... Tracked it down to a developer in Australia who had added a new column to a select query in the sp. However this shouldn't usually cause a problem but my thinking is that SQL Server called a cached execution plan for the sp which didn't work with the new column. I recompiled the execution plan and restarted the sql instance and it started working.

• romanoplescia (1/19/2011)

Happy days 😀 Problem's been solved.... Tracked it down to a developer in Australia who had added a new column to a select query in the sp. However this shouldn't usually cause a problem but my thinking is that SQL Server called a cached execution plan for the sp which didn't work with the new column. I recompiled the execution plan and restarted the sql instance and it started working.

Great news, thanks for sharing that with us! 😀

• romanoplescia (1/19/2011)

Happy days 😀 Problem's been solved.... Tracked it down to a developer in Australia who had added a new column to a select query in the sp. However this shouldn't usually cause a problem but my thinking is that SQL Server called a cached execution plan for the sp which didn't work with the new column. I recompiled the execution plan and restarted the sql instance and it started working.

Cool! Thanks for the feedback. You probably didn't need to restart the instance but that's a moot point for now. Glad you got it working.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Ok, the problem has returned and recompile doesn't make a difference. Same symptoms as before, runs fine if sp is executed from SSMS but fills the tempdb data file if run from the SSIS package?? I have done a DBCC OPENTRAN ('tempdb') and this is the result returned.

Transaction information for database 'tempdb'.

Oldest active transaction:

SPID (server process ID): 142

UID (user ID) : -1

Name : sort_init

LSN : (11118:25335:290)

Start time : Jan 24 2011 4:12:06:787PM

SID : 0x77908cef5c30194aaa27cd42b0a75bd2

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

I can't find any decent results on google or MS/books online re sort_init. Does anyone know why this could be filling up the tempdb data file?

• 1) perhaps you can use a plan guide to force a particular plan (i.e. the one that runs fast OUTSIDE of SSIS). the key is the sort - that is what is eating your tempdb. The plan differences are likely due to SET differences between SSMS and SSIS's execution contexts. This can be seen in the query plan cache using DMVs.

2) here is a bit of code to help with tempdb usage issues:

select t1.session_id, t1.request_id, t1.task_alloc,

t1.task_dealloc,t2.sql_handle, t2.statement_start_offset,

t2.statement_end_offset, t2.plan_handle

from (Select session_id, request_id,

sum(internal_objects_alloc_page_count) as task_alloc,

sum (internal_objects_dealloc_page_count) as task_dealloc

from sys.dm_db_task_space_usage

group by session_id, request_id) as t1, sys.dm_exec_requests as t2

where t1.session_id = t2.session_id and (t1.request_id = t2.request_id)

and t1.session_id > 50

order by t1.task_alloc DESC

--You can use the sql_handle and plan_handle to get the SQL statement and the query plan as follows

select text from sys.dm_exec_sql_text(put handle here)

-- you can show the query plan too.

select * from sys.dm_exec_query_plan(put handle here)

--

-- identifying top 5 tasks that are largest consumers of space in temmpdb

--

select top 5 *

from sys.dm_db_task_space_usage

where session_id > 50

order by user_objects_alloc_page_count + internal_objects_alloc_page_count DESC

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• It was collation... :angry:

• romanoplescia (1/27/2011)

It was collation... :angry:

Oh, now THAT's interesting. Talk about a difficult thing to find. Thanks for the feedback.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• When you mention collation, what was it set to?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply