SSC Traffic Declining ?

• Are there fewer posts & replies on SSC these days ? It seems like it. Or are they just spread over more sub forums of the various SQL versions ?

• This place is really quiet compared to the normal before COVID.  Makes me wonder if all the SQL folks got laid off.

• More likely they are not working in the office so have other things to sidetrack to whilst working from home.

• A mix of things. Traffic has declined lately, which is weird.

We depend a log on Google, so we are competing with SO and other places in that sense. Part of the reason to upgrade is SEO requirements, which include mobile, and other silly things. We've seen weird traffic things often based on Google/Bing changing algorithms.

I'll ask someone to dig in as the last two weeks look weird.

• It seems like the number of replies to posts is lower than it used to be.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

A mix of things. Traffic has declined lately, which is weird.

We depend a log on Google, so we are competing with SO and other places in that sense. Part of the reason to upgrade is SEO requirements, which include mobile, and other silly things. We've seen weird traffic things often based on Google/Bing changing algorithms.

I'll ask someone to dig in as the last two weeks look weird.

While you're at it, can you ask someone about a possible fix for the what's stored in the code blocks of legacy posts?  Most of them appear to now be quadruple spaced as a result of this last improvement.  I don't blame people for not wanting to even look at such code never mind copy'n'paste it into some SQL Code formater just to be able to read it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• homebrew01 wrote:

It seems like the number of replies to posts is lower than it used to be.

I know a fair number of the heavy hitters that no longer post here.  A high percentage of them have blamed the last change to this site.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Seems also likely that not being able to see that you are a top poster in a forum might have taken the recognition value out of responding to existing posts.   I was the top poster in at least two sub-forums and always appreciated the recognition that I felt I was seeing.   It's not something I need to see to post, as my posts are much more dictated by available time than the recognition, but that may not be true for all...

Also, that information was useful for beginners so that they could see who the most frequent posters are, and thus perhaps at least partially gauge the reputation of responders to their posts.

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply