SSC "Points" ?

• What generates the "Points" we have in our profile ?

I just reported a spam account that had 200 points.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  homebrew01.
  • Various activities (post new topic, reply to one, post article, etc.). I think I need to file a bug that spam posts don't count as points.

• I would add to that a verification - if number of posts = number of spam posts and user has more than 5/10 such posts just block them next time they get a report

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Various activities (post new topic, reply to one, post article, etc.). I think I need to file a bug that spam posts don't count as points.

It's worse than that, Steve... I seen first timers with just 1 post (spam or not) end up with tens and sometimes low hundreds of points.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

I would add to that a verification - if number of posts = number of spam posts and user has more than 5/10 such posts just block them next time they get a report

Sounds like a good idea. I've been doing this a long time. We used to try things like that and suddenly the "user" would add a foreach and we'd see even more spam posts. Usually we want to just keep swallowing the posts and not let the poster know they efforts are being hidden

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Various activities (post new topic, reply to one, post article, etc.). I think I need to file a bug that spam posts don't count as points.

It's worse than that, Steve... I seen first timers with just 1 post (spam or not) end up with tens and sometimes low hundreds of points.

Be good to get examples reported. There might be other bugs in the point system.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Yes, I have seen that too. That's why I asked here.

• Steve have a look at this profile https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/user/papaku

I'm pretty sure I've reported them more than once - and there are similar profiles to this one - reply to one of the messages with a "I got this" and with a link embedded on the commented out text.

•  

SSC_SpamAcct

• Thanks, will add to the issue. I suspect they changed things, but didn't erase points.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Okay, but do you also get points for replying to your own post? IMO, that would just just accumulate points for being sloppy with your initial question.

I recently looked up an account that posts a lot of quick questions which often elicits follow-up questions. I think the replies to those kind of questions also add points to the OPs account?

The above mentioned account is currently awarded a reputation of "Hall of Fame". When you see that you'd assume that this is someone who really knows what he's doing. But that's apparently not how you should interpret that awarded reputation. 🙂

So what is the meaning of the different reputations and what are the criterias used in assigning them?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  kaj. Reason: Rephrasing
  • You do get points for replying to your post, meaning that you are still engaging in the discussion with others. If we were talking 100 vs 120 points, this does seem silly. If we're talking 1000 points, you have to participate a lot to get points.

It's a game, as are a lot of things tracked with various sites, and some people enjoy it. I don't see too much abuse here, and many people seem to genuinely post things germane to the discussions, so we don't worry. Of course, if your participate in some of the "anything not about SQL" threads, sometimes those are long discussions with many posts that are just conversation. Still, points for participating in the community.

This is in no way any recognition of your skill or quality of working with SQL Server.

There are various levels we've created for the forums. They were just titles set for various point levels. I think they just marked milestones like 100, 500, 1000, etc. point levels. Nothing more than just me being creative with names of levels.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply