SQL2005 SSMS script DROP before CREATE

• Hi All,

Anyone remember where the equivalent option in SSMS is that scripts a DROP statement before CREATE on all objects you script?  I'm using SSMS RTM, do I need SP1 and where is the option then found?

Thanks,

ll 

• It's on the "Choose Script Options" in the Generate script wizard. The defalt setting is "Script Drop False".

If anyone knows a way to change the defaults I would be very interested.

Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Cheers Markus,

However that doesn't change the output of the script if i right click on a sproc for example and select 'Script Stored Procedure as > CREATE To > New query editor window', also it only seems to let you select 'Script DROP only' or 'Script CREATE only'.

ll

• I believe it is only in the Script Wizard options when you click at the database level. Right click a database, Tasks, Generate Scripts... This starts the wizard.

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• You'll need SP2 to script both Drop and Create's at the same time, and it can only be done from the DB level, not at the object level (as MG said). You only need SP2 on your SSMS, but there are quirks to administering an RTM or SP1 database from an SP2 SSMS, mostly to do with Maintenance Plans that I've found so far.

• I have SQL Server 2005 SP2 installed partially. Few features didn't install.

I donot get Create drop statements before Create statements scripts in Generate Script Wizard

Details of my SQL are given below

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio9.00.1399.00

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools2005.090.1399.00

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)2000.086.3959.00 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)

Microsoft MSXML2.6 3.0 5.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer7.0.5730.13

Microsoft .NET Framework2.0.50727.42

Operating System5.2.3790[/b]

• The version of SSMS is not SP. The SP2 version number is 9.00.3042 for SSMS.

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• The details given above are from Management STudio ----->Help---About. I do get the version mentioned by you next to my SQL instance in Management studio. What should I do to fix this issue.

Its a Server not client on XP machine

• is this for a desktop client or are you installing a server?

MG

Tony Hoare

• Using the wizard, I'm able to generate scripts to perform drops and creates by setting the "Include If NOT EXISTS" and "Script Drop" options to true. I'm using SSMS v9.00.3042.00. I'd also be interested in a way to change the defaults.

• Script Drop is missing in my Generate Script wizard. Can anyone tell me how to include this option in my wizard

• to change the defaults for generating scripts, from the Menu bar select Tools, then options. The Options window should have scripting in the tree. Select it and change the defaults at the right.

MG

Tony Hoare

• Script Tree is missing in my setup

• that is because you don't have SP2 installed. I asked earlier if this was a desktop client or a server.

MG

Tony Hoare

• Thanks MG. All of the options aren't available when trying to change the defaults though. "Script Drop" and Object level permissions aren't available to modify so I'll have to continue doing those manually.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply