SQL2000 from Windows 2000 sp4 to Windows 2004 sp1

• We are bringing out SQL Server's up to date with the Windows 2003 OS.

Rather than performing an upgrade, we are creating a brand new install of both the OS and SQL server. However, once we bring up with SQL Server on the new OS with SP's applied, we are running into various issues.

Inititally everything looks fine - We restore our DB's and setup everything needed.

We then try to connect to the server remotely and are unable to perform any of the tasks requested. We can't view the property of the server, or add logins.

So we reboot and are then unable to do it directly on the server either..

Is there something we are missing?

Help!!

Thanks

• Since I'm running SQL Server 2000 on a bunch of Windows 2003 Server machines I know it can be done! 

Without knowing more about your configuration there are a lot of possibilities as to why it's not working (e.g. clustering, non-default instance). 

For more info check out:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329329/#XSLTH3123121124120121120120

Since you didn't specify a SQL Server Service Pack level I assume you're going straight to SP4 - which is something I've never tried, all of my current machines were setup prior to the release of SP4...  I know that SP 3a works but have never tried going straight to SP4.

Good luck,

Joe

• I too have Win2K and Win2K3 servers in production and have performed this upgrade  a number of times without issue. By default when you install SQL Server 'BUILTIN\Administrators' has sysadmin authority over the SQL Server so you should be able to connect to the SQL Server to administer it (initialy at least) using a LocalAdministrator Windows account. Once you're in, then you can straighten out the security. I'f execute sp_helprevlogin on the old server and check out the login accounts as well.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• We have win2k3 sp1 and sql2000 sp4. All works fine

Do you have any error output?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply