SQL test questions needed

• hi all,

i am an experienced developer who has done a lot of application side programming (C++/Java/COM/.NET) but my

interaction with the sql has been primarily for debugging issues. So i understand sql queries and can also write small

stored procedures and trivial queries like a simple inner join between 2 tables.

My new job, though, now requires a HUGE amount of stored procedures that are extremely complex, (its common to see

combinations of joins on 4 or more tables with a lot of subqueries and derived columns included). I feel it extremely

tough to read and (more importantly) write such queries.

I have done my share of reading on sql now and want to test myself if i have understood the concepts correctly.

Does anyone know how i can test & check if my concepts are right ? Like a site perhaps that asks sql puzzles ...

TIA

How To Post[/url]

• Here's a good book: http://www.amazon.com/Puzzles-Answers-Kaufmann-Management-Systems/dp/1558604537

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Hi rbarryyoung,

I asked a similar question as an aside on one of my posts so this helped me too. Thanks.

Hi vik.ram.79

Hope you don't mind me stepping on your post but I've been looking at several titles this author has written and they all look good.

If you need any of them quickly:

http://www.ebooks.com/SearchApp/SearchResults.net?term=author%3A%22Celko%2C+Joe%22

jeanangeo

• I should have mentioned, this is "Joe Celko's SQL Puzzles and Answers". I think that Joe's books are excellent, especially for learning SQL apart from specific implementations.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Thanks fro all the responses guys ... I will definitely check out these books.

How To Post[/url]

• I'll never understand this type of question.... you're on a forum with a bazillion questions and you ask where you can find questions? 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Yeah, I am doing that too .... but remember that I need to sift through questions and find the kind that I am

looking for. For eg: questions like how to use the xml based functions to achieve something in sql are not

exactly what I am looking for ... but questions like how to join 2 tables and get a derived column etc are

of interest ...

Also i cant wait for the right questions to be asked so I will go ahead and get the book too...

🙂

How To Post[/url]

• Ah... understood. Then, you may not need a book at all... there're examples in Books Online.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply