sql statement - please help!

• I would like to select customers from my database depending on some criteria that the users choose - such as area code, company size etc. Since i have about 15 criteria and the users want to be able to choose many criteria for one selection i can't make one procedure for each criteria - i would end up with about a hundred procedures. I want to let the users choose what criteria to search on and have ONE single select statement that return the customers. Something like:

select name, address, city etc

from customer

where if users want to see customers of a certain type then type = @myInParameterForType

and if users want to see customers from a certain area then area = @myInParameterForArea

is this possible? sorry if i made you all confused...my english is not perfect! Thanks in advance!

• The easiest way is to build the statement and execute at run time. If you want to do in a procedure, you'd do something like this:

@sql='select * from table where ' + @param1 + '=' + @param2

sp_executesql (@sql)

It's often easier to do it client side using application code. Lot's of content here on the site about dynamic sql will show you some more advanced options.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Hmm. Maybe i have to learn dynamic sql at some point...But would it be possible to add some kind of "flag" that says whether the user is interested in the specific criteria or not (e.g 1 if yes, 0 if no), and then in the where clause use only those criteria whose flag says 1??? Say that i add an extra param. for each criteria - like @area, @areaFlag, @type, @typeFlag - would that work? If so, how?

• Another way would be to use the OR method (Better name?)

Select * From xx Where

(Col1 = @param1 OR @Param1 Is Null)

and (Col2 = @param2 OR @Param2 Is Null)

If any of the params are not supplied, they are null so the statement is still true.

There was another thread a week or so ago which went indepth with this topic. I can't for the life of me find it.

Cheers,

Crispin

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• Hi elisabet,

quote:

Hmm. Maybe i have to learn dynamic sql at some point...But would it be possible to add some kind of "flag" that says whether the user is interested in the specific criteria or not (e.g 1 if yes, 0 if no), and then in the where clause use only those criteria whose flag says 1??? Say that i add an extra param. for each criteria - like @area, @areaFlag, @type, @typeFlag - would that work? If so, how?

you mean something like

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.fai_getMailVaryingSubjects_Attach @sender_name varchar(100), @subject varchar(150), @iMode int AS

IF @iMode = 1
    BEGIN
    SELECT TOP 200
    MsgSubject
    AS
    Titel, ID
    FROM
    mails_header
    WHERE
    ((MsgOrigDisplayName= +@sender_name) AND (MsgSubject LIKE @subject))
    ORDER BY
    MsgDateReceived
    DESC
    END
    ELSE
    SELECT
    MsgSubject
    AS
    Titel, ID
    FROM
    mails_header
    WHERE
    ((MsgOrigDisplayName= +@sender_name) AND (MsgSubject LIKE @subject))
    ORDER BY
    MsgDateReceived
    DESC
    GO

???

Oops, the formatting has gone!

Cheers,

Frank

Edited by - a5xo3z1 on 06/17/2003 06:15:07 AM

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• Thanks guys...

used Crappy's code (feels weird to call someone who helped me crappy but oh well) and it worked perfectly well!

/Lis

• I have a UDF that allows us to select a single value or a range. It does away with the need for executing dynamic strings. It only works for numeric PK's (because that's all I needed) but I'm sure it could be adapted to fit other scenarios.

It's very simple but means that we can run sp's as complete statements rather than compiling and executing on the fly.

CREATE FUNCTION LastPark

(@park int)

RETURNS int

As

Begin

/*********************************************************************************

Description:

This function returns the last park in the parks table (or view) if the user

passes a zero. If the user passes any other value that value is returned.

Purpose:

For a number of the reports generated from the data in this database

the user can select a single park or all parks (amongst other criteria).

This function allows the developer to find the ref of last park and so

run queries as BETWEEN @park AND dbo.LastParks(@park). This

has the effect of allowing the same criteria regardless of whether a

single park or all parks have been selected.

Parameters:

In:

@park int -An integer representing the park selected by the user

Out:

@endpark int - An integer representing either the highest ref in the

park table or the same value as @park.

Usage:ParkRef BETWEEN @park AND dbo.LastPark(@park)

History:

Written By:Tim Foster - System 24 Ltd

Create Date:8 April 2003

Version:1.0

*********************************************************************************/

DECLARE

@endpark int

If @park = 0

Begin

SELECT @endpark = Max(Ref) FROM Park

End

Else

Begin

SELECT @endpark = @park

End

RETURN @endpark

End

• Another way to handle this is with a simple case statement in the WHERE clause. We use this alot as most of our sp's run with multiple, non-required paramenters. We have procs with 15-20 parms and it works fine.

Example proc:

create test_proc

@parm1 int=0,

@parm2 varchar(10)=null,

@parm3 varchar(20)=null

as

select

field1,

field2,

field99

from

tablex

where

1 = case

when @parm1 = field1 then 1

when @parm1 is null then 1

else 0

end

and 1 = case

when @parm2 = field2 then 1

when @parm2 is null then 1

else 0

end

and 1 = case

when @parm3 = field99 then 1

when @parm3 is null then 1

else 0

end

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply