SQL Server v.Next is Coming in 2019

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server v.Next is Coming in 2019

• On the SQL Server Build Lists page, the links to the 2016 and 2017 builds appear to be broken.

• ... and I haven't even installed a single SQL Server 2017 version yet.

• DesNorton - Tuesday, September 25, 2018 1:52 AM

On the SQL Server Build Lists page, the links to the 2016 and 2017 builds appear to be broken.

Should be fixed

• Summer90 - Tuesday, September 25, 2018 5:44 AM

... and I haven't even installed a single SQL Server 2017 version yet.

If you're using 2016, I don't think 2017 adds a lot. Unless you need one of the specific features they enhanced.

Same for 2019, not a big step for the engine over 2016, unless you need new functionality.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, September 25, 2018 11:44 AM

Summer90 - Tuesday, September 25, 2018 5:44 AM

... and I haven't even installed a single SQL Server 2017 version yet.

If you're using 2016, I don't think 2017 adds a lot. Unless you need one of the specific features they enhanced.

Same for 2019, not a big step for the engine over 2016, unless you need new functionality.

Agreed.  Hopefully, we won't have to upgrade until 2021 and then someone else can do it because <drum roll please> I'll be retired. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I'm impressed. Spark with SQL Server shows that Microsoft is finally getting the demand for truly scalable BI within the product. Good deal. We left SQL Server behind... this is a decent consideration for coming back.

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, September 25, 2018 1:10 PM

….  <drum roll please> I'll be retired. 😀

:crying:

I'll not be far behind :Whistling:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Thank you for this article, Steve. There's a lot here I wasn't aware of. I've got a question about SQL Operations Studio being renamed to Azure Data Studio. Does that mean I need to uninstall SQL Operations Studio, then download and install Azure Data Studio?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Rod at work - Sunday, September 30, 2018 9:01 AM

Thank you for this article, Steve. There's a lot here I wasn't aware of. I've got a question about SQL Operations Studio being renamed to Azure Data Studio. Does that mean I need to uninstall SQL Operations Studio, then download and install Azure Data Studio?

I have no idea. Since SOS was preview (beta), I uninstalled it and just installed ADS.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, October 1, 2018 9:55 AM

Rod at work - Sunday, September 30, 2018 9:01 AM

Thank you for this article, Steve. There's a lot here I wasn't aware of. I've got a question about SQL Operations Studio being renamed to Azure Data Studio. Does that mean I need to uninstall SQL Operations Studio, then download and install Azure Data Studio?

I have no idea. Since SOS was preview (beta), I uninstalled it and just installed ADS.

Does ADS no longer have the Preview moniker?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply