Sql Server "Runbook" !

• My company is interested in creating a so-called Sql Runbook. I'm not clear what items should go in the sql runbook, especially as the Internet pulls us through many issues.  Any thoughts appreciated.

TIA,

BD

P.S. I could not find a single example of a "runbook" \template on the Internet. I wonder if most companies don't use them

• Are they simply talking about the "runs" that are done via scheduled jobs?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Barkingdog - Tuesday, February 14, 2017 12:50 PM

My company is interested in creating a so-called Sql Runbook. I'm not clear what items should go in the sql runbook, especially as the Internet pulls us through many issues.  Any thoughts appreciated.

TIA,

BD

P.S. I could not find a single example of a "runbook" \template on the Internet. I wonder if most companies don't use them

I haven't seen them as much over the past several years but they were pretty common 20 years ago. It's kind of like a brain dump for maintaining that database server so daily activities, special activities, troubleshooting, backup and restore details, location of scripts, location of settings/logins/jobs/etc that have been captured for the server. Document anything that would allow another DBA to go in and do whatever needs to be done at any point in time. There are templates out there - search on database runbook template. Brent Ozar's site has a template and an example template that may give you an idea but the ones I've seen have a lot more information that what's in the templates.
    Documentation

Sue

• A SQL Runbook can be pretty much anything.   I would expect to find:

• Server level info, config, purpose
    • List of databases and applications using them
    • List of jobs and proper response to a failure
    • DR process with all of the contacts, RPO/RTO, etc. required to bring it back (based on level of issue)
    • Security
    • Backup schedules

Most of this is just documentation, but anything a new or covering DBA would need to do the work if the other DBA(S) were gone should be in there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply