SQL Server Resource Governor

• Thanks for your article - great overview and intro. I tried to give you five stars, but clicked the wrong star; SSC doesn't seem to allow a way to fix mistakes. My apologies on the rating - should be five stars.

• pstanislav (4/27/2016)

Thanks for your article - great overview and intro. I tried to give you five stars, but clicked the wrong star; SSC doesn't seem to allow a way to fix mistakes. My apologies on the rating - should be five stars.

As long as you enjoyed it, that's what I care about. Thanks

• Jeff Moden (4/26/2016)

Thanks for the article, Raul. I especially like what I saw on the PerfMon chart in the "Results" section.

Not much to add because Kevin beat me too it. The only thing that I'll add is that some well meaning folks throttle code when what they really should be doing is fixing it to run better, faster, and with less resource contention. Really cool that it worked out well for your situation because that's the whole intent. 😀

Hi Jeff, the credit goes all to Arun. Raul (me) just appear at the bottom because I reviewed it for him.

And by the way, nice job Arun! Keep it up!

Cheers

• Hi Arun,

I am a bit confused by your configuration data, specifically RAM. Is 24GB the Total RAM on the server? or is it just the Server Max Memory for the SQL 2008R2 instance? How much RAM did you reserve for the O/S?

It seems that all of the RG configuration is being implemented on the SQL2012 instance. Is that the case? If so, what have you done to control the default instance?

After all they are both using the same CPU and RAM.

• sqldoubleg (4/28/2016)

Jeff Moden (4/26/2016)

Thanks for the article, Raul. I especially like what I saw on the PerfMon chart in the "Results" section.

Not much to add because Kevin beat me too it. The only thing that I'll add is that some well meaning folks throttle code when what they really should be doing is fixing it to run better, faster, and with less resource contention. Really cool that it worked out well for your situation because that's the whole intent. 😀

Hi Jeff, the credit goes all to Arun. Raul (me) just appear at the bottom because I reviewed it for him.

And by the way, nice job Arun! Keep it up!

Cheers

Ok... totally embarrassed here :blush:... 2 four letter names and I got them mixed up. Nice job Arun and than you Raul for doing the review!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• That's ok Jeff, easy mistake to make. 😀

@ray - 1 instance (default only) and that was 24gb for max server mem (gb) setting.

thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply