SQL Server on Linux

• As much as I look forwards to SQL Server being on Linix, I expect in 2017 forums covering aspects of the LAMP stack will be clogged up with posts along the lines of:

"OMG, SQL Server is so bugged, the transaction log has filled up again. When are they going to fix this? I'm going back to MySQL"

• Recce70 (3/15/2016)

As much as I look forwards to SQL Server being on Linix, I expect in 2017 forums covering aspects of the LAMP stack will be clogged up with posts along the lines of:

"OMG, SQL Server is so bugged, the transaction log has filled up again. When are they going to fix this? I'm going back to MySQL"

Yeah, you certainly can't please everyone all the time, but you sure as hell can piss them off! 😛

• Aaron N. Cutshall (3/15/2016)

Recce70 (3/15/2016)

As much as I look forwards to SQL Server being on Linix, I expect in 2017 forums covering aspects of the LAMP stack will be clogged up with posts along the lines of:

Yeah, you certainly can't please everyone all the time, but you sure as hell can piss them off! 😛

Yes - all of them. It's probably right, though. A lack of understanding will lead people to denounce the product as inferior. After all, that's much easier than trying to learn something new. 😉

• Recce70 (3/15/2016)

LOL, of course.

• I really hope this works. I absolutely love Linux. I only use Windows because of SQL Server.

I also don't think this is to target the MySQL market share. I think this is to target the many people who rather choose open source because they believe a database is a database is a database.

• Felipe Maurer (3/15/2016)

I think many shops are seeing this as a cost reduction alternative. Windows licenses can be a significant part of the TCO.

Fine if the company already has Linus admins, if not the cost of training may well exceed the windows license savings.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Agree... 🙂

• xsevensinzx (3/15/2016)

I really hope this works. I absolutely love Linux. I only use Windows because of SQL Server.

I also don't think this is to target the MySQL market share. I think this is to target the many people who rather choose open source because they believe a database is a database is a database.

Just to confirm, the Linux distribution of SQL Server Core won't be open sourced.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I spend virtually all of my time with Oracle on Linux and using tools like sql developer on Ubuntu. No offense, but I love Oracle and I love Linux (and Mac too). But I've also spent about 4 or 5 years as a SQL Server developer. I like it, maybe not as much as Oracle but I like it a lot. I, for one, am looking forward to SQL Server on Linux. I think this is good; I think it's good for Microsoft, and I think it's good for competition.

• MS could well implement this as a VM - sort of like a windows-based-docker thing. That would simplify compatibility and versioning.

As someone whose job involves using linux, mysql, windows, sql-server and ssis, I am quite interested in how this pans out. The charges matrix will be an interesting indication of how serious MS are with this.

• RobertMcClean (3/17/2016)

MS could well implement this as a VM - sort of like a windows-based-docker thing. That would simplify compatibility and versioning.

As someone whose job involves using linux, mysql, windows, sql-server and ssis, I am quite interested in how this pans out. The charges matrix will be an interesting indication of how serious MS are with this.

This is one of the use cases. Docker support for SS on Linux.

• Taking this one step further, how about SQL Server OS running on bare metal? If the machine is a dedicated database server, then you don't really need Windows or Linux. Of course MSSQL OS doesn't yet contain all the required core I/O and process to operate on it's own (at least I don't think it does), but it theoretically could.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Huh. SQL Server on bare metal. It'd need a file system, a network I/O system, memory management, task switching, user/security management, update management. Maybe a GUI to make things a bit easier.

Sounds kind of like an operating system. Maybe they could get it to run on Windows or Linux! 😀

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Eric M Russell (3/17/2016)

Taking this one step further, how about SQL Server OS running on bare metal? If the machine is a dedicated database server, then you don't really need Windows or Linux. Of course MSSQL OS doesn't yet contain all the required core I/O and process to operate on it's own (at least I don't think it does), but it theoretically could.

Oracle tried this. Technical success. Market failure.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I will watch events with interest having used both SQL Server and a number of other RDBMSs under various Linuxes (and some Unixes) over the past few decades. My main concern is the endless flavours of Linux. We use both SQL Server and another RDBMS. Recently I had an issue and was told "We don't support the Linux you are using but we do support xxx'. The problem is one large application does not render correctly under xxx which is why we do not use it! BTW of the Linuxes I have used the only one I regarded as a stable mature product was Redhat...

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply