SQL Server on Linux

• However I also wonder what the business model is. Are there that many people who want to, or would, run SQL Server that don't want a Windows OS? I know that the people managing the OS might see SQL Server as just another database application, but I haven't run into many places that would refuse to install Windows.

I like this. I am really tired of the crap MS is pulling with their various OS versions. I used to be able to remote into a server and do what I needed to, then get out. Now I need to hunt and peck to find where they hid things, and then spend 10 minutes trying to log off! Touch screen OS on a server, yeah, we all need that.

Given the cost of the Windows OS, and then buying SQL Server, anything that can be done to reduce those costs is a good thing. MS prices SQL Server based on the assumption that all of your databases will be installed on one server. A lot of companies can't do that. What happens if I have 15 databases/apps running on SQL Server 2008, and I need to upgrade it? I better hope all 15 vendors support the new version. In our experience, most do not. So our management has opted for every system to have a dedicated DB server. That gets expensive.

Dave

• djackson 22568 (3/15/2016)

Touch screen OS on a server, yeah, we all need that.

😛

• GilaMonster (3/15/2016)

...Had one guy on twitter stating that 'obviously' SQL Server on Linux would have no CLR and no T-SQL stored procedure support. Say what?

I think that they need help...or are looking forward to their primary education 😛

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Ed Wagner (3/15/2016)

I used Unix years ago, but never got into Lunix. It'll be very interesting to see how the implement this. SQL Server is so integrated with the Windows, I'm curious about how they're going to integrate SQL with a different OS. I also wonder what flavors of Linux they'll support.

And Gary's probably right - the anti-MS collective probably won't be swayed. It seems that they have this deep-seeded emotional attachment to MS-bashing.

The initial thrust is with Ubuntu and, I believe Red Hat. Their focus is Linux, not Unix. I asked about AIX, but no Unix as of yet.

The idea here is there are people managing LAMP stack items and they would like to use SQL Server. There is research that companies are interested in all SQL offers, but don't want to add Windows and AD.

Is it a lot? Who knows.

• jasona.work (3/15/2016)

Apparently my old boss still subscribes to the M$ evil empire, embrace / extend / extinguish view of MS, as he was of the opinion that MS would be releasing a stripped down, over-priced, you want all the features buy Windows version of SQL.

This is supposed to be *most* of the features. There are a few that depend on something in the Windows space, like auth, which aren't supposed to be added, but I think that most everything is supposed to be working when they release.

Part of the demo at Data Driven, look in the second hour, showed that the demo was on Linux.

• ZZartin (3/15/2016)

Interesting, so is this a move to try to take market share from MySQL? MS is already beating Oracle in the licensing department so it doesn't seem like this would be aimed at Oracle and part of the attractiveness of a LAMP setup right now is no licensing costs at all.

And what exactly are we going to be getting? Just the bare bones DB engine or will it come with the package SSIS/SSRS/SSAS? And are they going to be releasing linux versions of the tools as well? Is it going to support integration with an AD environment etc?

Haven't heard about SSIS/RS/AS as of yet.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/15/2016)

ZZartin (3/15/2016)

Interesting, so is this a move to try to take market share from MySQL? MS is already beating Oracle in the licensing department so it doesn't seem like this would be aimed at Oracle and part of the attractiveness of a LAMP setup right now is no licensing costs at all.

And what exactly are we going to be getting? Just the bare bones DB engine or will it come with the package SSIS/SSRS/SSAS? And are they going to be releasing linux versions of the tools as well? Is it going to support integration with an AD environment etc?

Haven't heard about SSIS/RS/AS as of yet.

I suspect that what gets ported is what has a long term future. That may be everything but I wouldn't expect everything there on Day 1 either.

Gaz

• Whether they are targeting Oracle or MySQL they are targeting Oracle.

Where's the growth for SQL Server going to come from if you stick with Windows only?

My experience with MySQL suggests that it is good enough up to a certain performance threshold, then it struggles.

What do companies do when their chosen database platform reaches its capacity? Move to a NOSQL platform?

There are people out there who hate Microsoft on some sort of principle that they cannot articulate. Perhaps they can quote someone else's reasons but not defend that position using their own arguments.

I'm not convinced by the cost argument. It's hard getting to a TCO especially as you have to factor in the value added by communities such as this one. I know of companies that have booted out Microsoft on grounds of cost but somehow don't seem to have shrunk their bills that much. you'd be amazed how expensive some open-source software turns out to be!

• GilaMonster (3/15/2016)

.. Had one guy on twitter stating that 'obviously' SQL Server on Linux would have no CLR and no T-SQL stored procedure support. Say what?

I could see Powershell being iffy since that's pretty tightly coupled to the core OS, but they might be able to pull it off. No T-SQL SP? BWAHAHAHAHAHA![/B] Yeah, I think it'll be there. Kinda hard to do anything really useful in SQL Server of any size with more than trivial complexity without SPs, and they're not going to switch from T-SQL to something else. Obviously the commands that directly reference the file system will change, which is something that should show up in testing when you port a system.

The thing that I'm curious about is the file system. You can run multiple different file systems in linux, and at the same time on different drives. Heck, maybe they have some way of doing multiple FS on one physical drive, I don't know. I could see that as something that might have to be mandated where MS would say 'Thy FS shall be XYZ, thou shalt hold no other file system before me!' But maybe that can be accommodated for just the drives that hold SQL DB and log files and everything else can be whatever FS the admins want.

It'll be interesting to see what is done with OSQL. I hope the SQL Agent job scheduler remains familiar, I'd hate the thought of doing those things through cron jobs, though that might be a lack of familiarity screamingspeaking.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• I think many shops are seeing this as a cost reduction alternative. Windows licenses can be a significant part of the TCO.

• Wayne West (3/15/2016)

I hope the SQL Agent job scheduler remains familiar, I'd hate the thought of doing those things through cron jobs, though that might be a lack of familiarity screamingspeaking.

I remember using cron jobs from way back when and I hated it. I find SQL database jobs vastly easier to use.

• Wayne West (3/15/2016)

...I could see Powershell being iffy since that's pretty tightly coupled to the core OS...

Isn't it already ported? I think so.

The picture is becoming very clear. MS is ensuring that whether it is Windows or Linux or even Windows or iOS or Android then you can still use MS technologies.

Gaz

• Ed Wagner (3/15/2016)

Wayne West (3/15/2016)

I hope the SQL Agent job scheduler remains familiar, I'd hate the thought of doing those things through cron jobs, though that might be a lack of familiarity screamingspeaking.

I remember using cron jobs from way back when and I hated it. I find SQL database jobs vastly easier to use.

There's nothing inherently wrong with cron jobs it's just that like most things in linux there's no intuitive GUI to use. Not an issue for people who are already used to working in that interface but a learning curve for people used to windows.

• Ed Wagner (3/15/2016)

Wayne West (3/15/2016)

Surely they can just utilise cron under the hood?

EDIT: Wrong post quoted.

Gaz

• Gary Varga (3/15/2016)

Ed Wagner (3/15/2016)

Wayne West (3/15/2016)

Surely they can just utilise cron under the hood?

EDIT: Wrong post quoted.

Hmm... maybe, it'll be interesting to see how much they try to recreate windows SQL functionality vs adapting to linux. But the SQL Agent right now doesn't just use the windows scheduler under the hood.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply