Sql Server licensing

• Hi,

I didn't know where to post it so I'm posting here. I'm a developer and currently I've a developer license. I never worried/needed a production license until now but I've got a client who is SQL illiterate and not technical at all.

I did some google on licensing but I need to know which one will be good for this given requirement.

1. License required for an online store.

2. Server has one Intel Xeon E3-1270 V3 (Quad core)

The one option is license per core and other is Server + CAL.

I like to know that each registered buyer on a e-commerce site will be treated as one CAL? Which I think is not so can I suggest my client to get Server + CAL license?

• if you don't know how many clients the web site will have, I don't see how your customer can use CAL.

• Firstly, a development license cannot be used on a production machine.

Secondly, before you worry about licensing consider which version of SQL Server will be used? Would the Express version suffice? Even though Express only supports a single core and 10GB databases, a clever model might be able to make use of that.

Thirdly, will the machine be a physical box or a VM? I have read the specs as you have presented them but is this box dedicated to the SQL Server or does it host other services as well?

• Hi jiya.care,

In this situation (assuming you are needing a licensed copy of SQL Server and not Express), your best option is going to be core based licensing. Since you have a quad core CPU, you're going to need to license all 4 cores to ensure that access to the SQL Server is covered. CAL based licensing is a good solution in some scenarios, but you would need to know how many users are accessing your SQL Server at any point in time. If you buy 3 CALS and you have 4 connections at one point (including any SQL Administrators or developers), you are out of compliance.

Core based licensing avoids this tricky situation.

Hope this helps! 🙂

~Steve

• .... and I think for Enterprise edition it's only core based license... CAL is not available for EE...

• Hi,

licensing hard stuff! 😉

Enterprise -> only core

Standard -> core and CAL

Take SA (Software Assurance) to use licence mobility.

That is important for DR or migrate to a new server.

Applies only to hardware licensing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply