SQL Server Job Steps

• I got it wrong... but for a different reason. The question said to pick 4, I probably would have picked all of them otherwise, since I know SSRS Report Subscriptions use SQL Agent jobs. I wasn't thinking of the question in terms of the Job Step Type dropdown. Oh well, not like my QOTD record here is all that great anyway 😉

• Thanks for the question

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Yup. I'm still stuck in 2005 mode. I didn't think Powershell was right for 2005 and I thought the report subscription was wrong, too. I flipped a coin and selected the report subscription option. 😀

• If only you could run a Reporting Services Report Subscription as a Job Task...

• RedJackal (3/24/2011)

If only you could run a Reporting Services Report Subscription as a Job Task...

I haven't worked through this bookmarked site, but it looks tempting: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793463.aspx

Rich

• The question should have started with "In SQL Server 2005..." as Powershell is NOT an option in 2005.

______________________________________________________________________________Never argue with an idiot; Theyll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

• rmechaber (3/24/2011)

These kinds of versioning problems with QoD are common enough and easily prevented: couldn't SSC require all submitters to specify which versions they have tested their question on?

Rich, I have suggested this many times in the past with many differant accounts. The answer has always been that QOTD is not moderated. The question is posted as it was originaly submitted. Errors and all. 😎

• Several have said it already, but I am going to say it again.

Why did you not list the version of SQL server when it is obvious you where taking about SQL 2008 R2?

It is good to remember that there is more than one version of everything when writing questions and articles about software and development.

Unless confusing people and making them frustrated is your goal.

Then you are on a path to sucess! :w00t:

• SanDroid (3/24/2011)

rmechaber (3/24/2011)

These kinds of versioning problems with QoD are common enough and easily prevented: couldn't SSC require all submitters to specify which versions they have tested their question on?

Rich, I have suggested this many times in the past with many differant accounts. The answer has always been that QOTD is not moderated. The question is posted as it was originaly submitted. Errors and all. 😎

It should not be that difficult to add a field on the question submission screen that prompts the user to answer "What language and version of SQL was this tested on?" They don't even have to go that far, it could be a message next to the question input field that says "Don't forget to include SQL version and language tested on".

• kevin.l.williams (3/24/2011)

SanDroid (3/24/2011)

rmechaber (3/24/2011)

It should not be that difficult to add a field on the question submission screen that prompts the user to answer "What language and version of SQL was this tested on?" They don't even have to go that far, it could be a message next to the question input field that says "Don't forget to include SQL version and language tested on".

I am sure Steve could use your assistance in adding this.

Perhaps you should contact him and volunteer your skills.

• Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. You all are correct that i should have mentioned the version of SQL Server in the question. I agree with you all that PowerShell is not available in SQL Server 2005. I was working in SQL Server 2008, and i thought to ask this question since there are many new features and wanted to share and learn from you all. I will try to be more specific in future QotD.

Once again thank you all.

• SanDroid (3/24/2011)

I know, first hand, that this is not true. I recently submitted a QoD and received a response from an editor with suggestions for corrections. I have made the corrections and resubmitted the question and am waiting for a further response or for it to be published.

Based on this experience it seems there is in fact moderation.

• ouch!! i'm one of the many who didnt read the end of the question (select 4) and answer based on sql 2005 functionalities 🙁

Simon Liew
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008

• my erro : you can run a report subscription job but not create it

• Great question that is easy and reviews the SQL Server Agent job topic.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply