SQL Server Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit)

• Hi guys,

I'm assuming the answer is NO, but I thought I would ask anyway...

Some consultants came in and installed SharePoint on SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) before I started working at my current company. I need to change this to Enterprise Edition. I don't need the Core Based Licensing. Does anyone know if there is a way of doing this besides uninstall/reinstall?

• The alternative to core-based licensing is CALs (and it's limited to a certain number of cores iirc), do you have CALs for all the clients that access sharepoint (each and every single user needs one)? If not, or you can't restrict the number of users, then you need the core-based licensing.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail for the response.

I don't ever deal with licensing so I don't know much about it....

With that being said, are the only two options for SQL Server 2012 Enterprise per Core or Per Connection?

Thanks again.

• The only new license option for SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition is Core-based. Server/CAL is not an option for new 2012 Enterprise Edition licenses.

There is an option for Server/CAL licenses ONLY if you are upgrading a SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition license, but with a 20 core limit, and you are actually upgrading to a Core based license from Server/CAL.

How to buy: Comprehensive licensing information for SQL Server 2012

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/get-sql-server/how-to-buy.aspx

Click on the "SQL Server 2012 Licensing Guide" to download the PDF.

• SQL08Kid (9/27/2013)

Thanks Gail for the response.

I don't ever deal with licensing so I don't know much about it....

With that being said, are the only two options for SQL Server 2012 Enterprise per Core or Per Connection?

Thanks again.

SQL Server has never has a Per Connection license.

• SQL Server has never has a Per Connection license.

Thanks for the response Michael. When I say per connection license, I mean per client or device connection, aka CAL.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply