SQL Server DBA.... what next?

• One thing you did not mention was BI. This is becoming very important for a lot of businesses. In 2008 and R2, BI is a very big deal. Get a few books and dive into SSAS. It always look good on a resume and you may be come a hero at your current job.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

(did not read all the way down the post, just saw Eric's post right before mine saying the same thing)

• GilaMonster (5/6/2010)

Henrico Bekker (5/6/2010)

Next on your agenda I would say is to go for MVP status.

Um.....

MVP status is not something that you should be 'going for' as a career goal. It's something that you get if you are active enough in the community.

Things you 'go for' are certification (including MCM), degrees, promotions, new jobs, etc.

I think that one could "go for" being a good active community member. "Go for" giving back to the community. If it is not something you do currently it is worth having as a goal. MVP is not something you "go for" though, since that is a recognition given to you.

When you give back to the community you will learn many things about being a DBA that you did not already know. Besides the learning, you will also gain some good life experiences and meet some new people. Those three things can be quite fun.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• sqlwars (5/6/2010)

Its still DBA and from where I am right now, I dont see fun there.

I guess, I have done enough of DBA work, i better take a U turn an be a interior decorator or something.

Heh... DBA's ARE "interior decorators" of sorts and both jobs are frequently thankless. I agree... it's probably time for you to get out of the business because it doesn't sound like you have a passion for the job. You could take your valuable knowledge of databases along for the ride as a client side programmer (Web, App, BI, whatever). There're a lot of folks in those jobs that haven't worked with the data at your level and you'd likely be a strong asset becuase of that knowledge.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Well, if being a SQL Server 2008 DBA has become a bore, you could always spend the next 100 years attempting to master Oracle database administration on the Linux platform.

Now there is a limitless time sink.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• There are plenty of things within SQL Server to entertain (err time sink) one's self as well. Find something within SQL server to learn or make better. Teach somebody what you have learned.

Learn Extended Events

• One thing I have understood from all these great personalities is that, there is no end for hunger and there is no end for learning.

Thanks,

Nag

Nag
    ------------------------------------------------
    How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• This Experts gets up in the morning and says let see wat new in the sqlserver

and we get up in the morning wats new thing we can learn from them.

• This discussion just underscores why it's imporatant to always have at least 2 admins and 2 developers who know your database, just in case someone steps in front of a bus or decides to persue a career in interior decorating and never returns from their lunch break.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• eric_russell 13013 (5/7/2010)

This discussion just underscores why it's imporatant to always have at least 2 admins and 2 developers who know your database, just in case someone steps in front of a bus or decides to persue a career in interior decorating and never returns from their lunch break.

I agree with you on that.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (5/7/2010)

eric_russell 13013 (5/7/2010)

This discussion just underscores why it's imporatant to always have at least 2 admins and 2 developers who know your database, just in case someone steps in front of a bus...

Heh... or gets thrown under one... 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (5/7/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (5/7/2010)

This discussion just underscores why it's imporatant to always have at least 2 admins and 2 developers who know your database, just in case someone steps in front of a bus...

Heh... or gets thrown under one... 😉

It is possible that a DBA would leave after being thrown under the bus. Bad Karma there!

Learn Extended Events

• eric_russell 13013 (5/7/2010)

This discussion just underscores why it's imporatant to always have at least 2 admins and 2 developers who know your database, just in case someone steps in front of a bus or decides to persue a career in interior decorating and never returns from their lunch break.

... not to mention the need to keep up-to-date that old useless and boring thing... what was the name? ... was it "documentation"? 😀

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (5/7/2010)

... not to mention the need to keep up-to-date that old useless and boring thing... what was the name? ... was it "documentation"? 😀

HAHA. If a DBA only did documentation all day I would probably want to change too.;-)

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (5/7/2010)

PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (5/7/2010)

HAHA. If a DBA only did documentation all day I would probably want to change too.;-)

That's why you hire fresh, out-of-college, entry level people from time to time 😉

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (5/7/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (5/7/2010)

PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (5/7/2010)

That's why you hire fresh, out-of-college, entry level people from time to time 😉

LOL

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply