SQL Server and Python Tutorial

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server and Python Tutorial

• Finely written article. And well explained, thank you. I do have a question or two.

with open('c:\data\currencies.csv', 'r') as csv_file:
    csv_reader = csv.reader(csv_file)
    next(csv_reader) # Skip the header row if it exists
    for row in csv_reader:
    currency_code = row[0]
    name = row[1]
    stored_procedure = 'InsertCurrency'
    cursor.execute("{CALL " + stored_procedure + " (?, ?)}", (currency_code, name))
    connection.commit()
    print(f"Inserted: {currency_code}, {name}")
    print("All currencies inserted successfully!")

Where does the loop end? It seems by layman's eyes that everything under "for row in csv_reader " would be indented once. Currency and name are but the rest of the lines are not.

Also since this seems to do a row by row operation, call to a SP, it seems I would not recommend this for a csv file holding tons of records. I would look to Bulk Insert for that. Or am I wrong?

----------------------------------------------------

• Some practical examples of where Python beats standard SQL Server functions would be interesting. Or is this aimed simply at people who prefer writing their code in Python?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply