SQL Server and Oracle on one Server

• We are setting up a new test server. I've been told to have both SQL Server (7.0) and Oracle on it. This doesn't sound like a good idea to me but don't have any justification as to why not. Does anyone know if this will or will not work?

• Never tried it. Bad idea I think, unless one will be heavily used and the other lightly. Each is going to suck up memory. Hard enough to tune a DBMS when its the only thing running - having a second one spinning the disks at the same time...that might get interesting!

Andy

• Hi there

As im also an Oracle DBA, I have an 8.1.6, SS2k and a mysql database running on my home box without any problems. I have yet to visit a site that runs both DBMS's on the same box, I have seen 1 rare case during a data conversion on an NT server between 7.3.4 -> SS2k.

From a performance perspective, this is a tricky one. Both will contend for disk, cpu and memory resources to achieve optimal operating performance.. and under oracle, if not setup properly, will content more if the DBA hasnt spent time on tuning.

Anyhow, I cant not give any recommendations really. If its reasonably heavy OLTP or DSS then aims to get them onto their own disks but sharing RAM and CPU. Disk contention will be one of your key problems that will prove to be a right pain to sort out.

Installation will be a-ok. Although Oracle on NT (any version) i believe is pathetic as far as installation and general usage of the GUI and NT constructs. Perhaps tells you a few things about the oracle and MS relationship? 🙂

Try http://www.dbasupport.com for more oracle info.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• I run SS2k oracle 8i and MySQL all on the same test box. I just don't do performance testing on the box. Other than that they all play fair with each other. I have another staging box I do all perf test on just makes life easyer.

Wes

• We will be using both DBMS rather heavily so I think having separate servers for Oracle and SQL are the best ways to go. Thanks for the replies.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply