SQL Server AMD Patch applied to INTEL Server

• I have a situation (not me personally but a client) where SQL Server 2014 SP2 on an INTEL Server has been upgraded to SP3 and then CU4 for SP3, but the patch files were AMD. After this the latest Security Patch was also applied (SQLServer2014-KB4535288-x86.exe) which doesn’t have an infrastructure designation. I would have thought this would fail with an “Infrastructure error” message, and you wouldn't be able apply an AMD Server onto an INTEL server.

The obvious questions are:

• What is the potential impact, no obvious issues have been seen so far.
    • Why no error message stopping the install?
    • Could the patches be uninstalled so the correct patch can be applied?

Any one ever come across something like this? It’s a first for me.

Leo
    Nothing in life is ever so complicated that with a little work it can't be made more complicated.

• Are you sure you asked the correct question? From SQL Server 2008 and onward, I never heard of a patch for INTEL vs for AMD. There are patches for 32 bit and 64 bit,  but not INTEL vs AMD. It uses the same patch no matter whether it's from INTEL or from AMD, as long as it's 32 bit or 64 bit. SQL Server 2016 and later are 64bit only.

• Thanks for the reply. There's a bit of confusion around this. It turns out the client downloaded the SQL Patch files from WSUS (Windows Server Update service) and this seems to have patch files designated as AMD. When you go to a non-WSUS download page you only get x64 and x86 files.

For now we are assuming it's just a naming standard in WSUS.

Leo
    Nothing in life is ever so complicated that with a little work it can't be made more complicated.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply