SQL Server Agent job information

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/27/2011)

cengland0 (7/27/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/27/2011)

cengland0 (7/27/2011)

Finally a straight-forward non-tricky question. Shouldn't have any debates about this one.

And yet there's already 8 posts about it before 8 AM New-York time. 😀

None of them bad.

So what the heck did you learn?

Are you anywhere near smarter after this question?

😉

For the moment, 10% of the answerers is smarter now 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• My test is my job. This site is for learning...

• Thomas Abraham (7/27/2011)

Wait a minute, the question said "SQL Server Agent", not "Microsoft SQL Server Agent". I assumed it was referring to the Rigel 7 version of "Gornian SQL Server Agent". And yet, I still got it right. 🙂

Hardy, har, har. (sarcastic laugh).

If you look at Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, the section is called "SQL Server Agent." If you look in the Services that are running on the computer, the service is called "SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER)."

• Koen Verbeeck (7/27/2011)

I own my own business (wbttools.com) and consider myself an expert on quiz technologies. I have created so many quizzing applications and reports that I've lost count so I know what I'm talking about.

So, it's not necessarily true that 10% are smarter now. 10% selected the wrong answer. What percentage of the 90% knew the answer versus guessed and got it right by luck? Additionally, those that got it wrong, ask them again two months from now and see if they recalled the information. Those that got it wrong, did they read the explanation and even care if they got it right or wrong?

These questions are considered level 2 on the Kirkpatrick's four levels of evaluation. You need at least a level 3 to determine if there is a behavior change, that is the capability to perform the learned skills while on the job.

• cengland0 (7/27/2011)

Koen Verbeeck (7/27/2011)

I own my own business (wbttools.com) and consider myself an expert on quiz technologies. I have created so many quizzing applications and reports that I've lost count so I know what I'm talking about.

So, it's not necessarily true that 10% are smarter now. 10% selected the wrong answer. What percentage of the 90% knew the answer versus guessed and got it right by luck? Additionally, those that got it wrong, ask them again two months from now and see if they recalled the information. Those that got it wrong, did they read the explanation and even care if they got it right or wrong?

These questions are considered level 2 on the Kirkpatrick's four levels of evaluation. You need at least a level 3 to determine if there is a behavior change, that is the capability to perform the learned skills while on the job.

Okidoki, I'll change the sentence to:

For the moment, approximately 10% of the answerers should be smarter now 🙂

Ah, but you are leaving out the unknown percentage of people who didn't know the answer, had to look it up, found the answer easily, and then answered correctly. 🙂

-Ki

• cengland0 (7/27/2011)

So what the heck did you learn?

Are you anywhere near smarter after this question?

😉

You're under some impression that the QOTD is intended to teach something. I've been supporting training organizations since 1991 and I can assure you that quizzes are to test knowledge not to teach.

Obviously not cut out for the job then; quizzes are an excellent teaching method, provided the answerers are prepared to do a bit of research to discover the answers and the question setters are prepared to allow time for that research to be undertaken.

And of course extremely easy questions like this one, where most people already know the answer, while they may encourage people to try other harder question, do little or no teaching except for complete beginners who know almost nothing about the field. Which is part of what Ninja was getting at.

When you're in school and the teacher gives you a quiz, are they teaching you something at that time? No, they taught you the information before the quiz and they are now testing your retention of that knowledge.

It's a pretty useless teacher who uses quizzes only for that. Fortunately both my parents when I was young and my my maths and language teachers when I reached school made much more sensible use of quizzes, or I'd never have learned the subjects.

Anyway, I strongly believe that the purpose of QoTD is to get people to learn more about SQL Server and related topics.

ANyway, who was it that said this question wouldn't trigger a debate?

Tom

• Kiara (7/27/2011)

Ah, but you are leaving out the unknown percentage of people who didn't know the answer, had to look it up, found the answer easily, and then answered correctly. 🙂

That is why I edited my sentence and added approximately 🙂

Kiara (7/27/2011)

That is why I edited my sentence and added approximately 🙂

SET DEBATE = ON 😀

• People of all skill levels visit this site. So, an easy question for one person might not be for some others. That one was easy for me but what about someone just getting started in SQL or perhaps an Oracle guru that just inherited a Microsoft SQL Server. Besides, I needed the points! I was starting to feel pretty stupid on SQL after getting so many wrong. I learn from lots of these questions but reaffirming things always helps me. 🙂

• jason.stephens (7/27/2011)

People of all skill levels visit this site. So, an easy question for one person might not be for some others. That one was easy for me but what about someone just getting started in SQL or perhaps an Oracle guru that just inherited a Microsoft SQL Server. Besides, I needed the points! I was starting to feel pretty stupid on SQL after getting so many wrong. I learn from lots of these questions but reaffirming things always helps me. 🙂

You feel stupid because you don't know something about SQL Server??? There are BILLIONS of pages you need to read, fully understand and then apply before you get there. BTW there are 1000s of new things to learn every 3 years. You'll NEVER get there.

Stop feeling stupid, it only slows you down.

• Tom.Thomson (7/27/2011)

cengland0 (7/27/2011)

quizzes are an excellent teaching method, provided the answerers are prepared to do a bit of research to discover the answers and the question setters are prepared to allow time for that research to be undertaken.

So are we supposed to look up the answers before answering these questions? If so, why don't we all get 100% correct? Probably because no matter what, Ninja's_RGR'us will try to trick you and looking up the answer wouldn't help anyway. As for me, I try to answer them without researching so I do get some QOTDs wrong.

I've worked for a company that only taught 20% of the job. For the other 80%, the associate was expected to find the answer themselves in the online handbook so a lot of time was spent training them on using that handbook. In this case, the quizzes were "open book, open notes, closed neighbor". Questions were on the quiz that were not taught in class to test their ability to find the answer. The quiz was timed and everyone that took the quiz had the same amount of time to answer each question.

If the associate did not achieve a minimum average score during the 6 - 7 week training event, they were terminated. To terminate an associate for this reason and not get into legal trouble, we had to validate all of our quizzes. This validation required confirming that people passing could do the job and people not passing could not do the job. Each question had to be carefully selected to make sure it was testing knowledge that was needed for that job. The wording of the questions were carefully selected to make sure none of the distractors could be correct under any situation.

• My apologies if I don't like super easy question ;-).

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/27/2011)

My apologies if I don't like super easy question ;-).

There's a difference between a hard question and a tricky one that is attempting to have as many people as possible fail due to some intentional sneaky wording. You know the author of the question is being tricky/sneaky if the majority of the people get the question wrong (especially if people are looking up the answers before answering them) and Steve has to grant points back.

• Wasn't easy one for me i had to google a bit.....but at the end got it right and will remember in future...

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply