SQL Server 2016 SP1 to SP2 patching

• Hello,

Planning to patch the SQL Server 2016 Sp1 to Sp2. What are the prerequisites do you suggest to keep in mind to plan for the activity and in which order do you suggest? also if there is any good documentation available on this, please do suggest that as well.

Thank you.

Thanks.

• First and foremost, make sure you've got good backups.

Second thing would be to apply the update in a QA / Dev / Test environment first, then let people test out the applications that touch the databases there, make sure there's nothing that causes problems (and you can also get an idea of possible problems by reviewing the list of fixes included in the Service Pack.)

Finally, if your server is a virtual instead of a physical, take a snapshot / checkpoint / whatever it's called of the server before applying the update to give you a bail-out option if everything goes wrong.

• Hi Jasona,

Did you encounter any issues in the event of any rollback of the patch back to SP1?

Thanks.

• I couldn't say, as at present the most up-to-date SQL Servers I have are all SQL 2014 SP3.  Thus far, I've not run into anything that needed us to try to roll back to the previous update, either.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply