SQL Server 2014 Configuration

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server 2014 Configuration

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• Please read the entire MSDN page you linked to.

The following SQL Server Database Engine features are supported in the next version of SQL Server, but will be removed in a later version. The specific version of SQL Server has not been determined.

This means you can still use all of those features in SQL 2014. Look at the individual pages about those features, and you'll notice you can still set them all. They are even supported in a version after SQL 2014!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (11/18/2013)

Please read the entire MSDN page you linked to.

The following SQL Server Database Engine features are supported in the next version of SQL Server, but will be removed in a later version. The specific version of SQL Server has not been determined.

This means you can still use all of those features in SQL 2014. Look at the individual pages about those features, and you'll notice you can still set them all. They are even supported in a version after SQL 2014!

+1

"Deprecated" does not mean that you cann't use it.

See here for discontinued features: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144262%28v=sql.120%29.aspx

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

+1

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

+1, though it means to sacrifice my daily point :w00t:

• I have a different link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143729(SQL.120).aspx that yields the same info.

Features are deprecated, not removed.

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Hany Helmy (11/19/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (11/18/2013)

+1

+1

Everything is awesome!

• Hmm, I wonder if the confusion comes from the 'replacement' section:

None.

ANSI_NULLS, ANSI_PADDING and CONCAT_NULLS_YIELDS_NULL will always be set to ON. SET OFFSETS will be unavailable.

I assume that indicates the state of these options once they are actually removed, not in SQL Server 2014.

• I feel cheated.

I believe that all features mentioned will indeed continue to be available for SQL Server 2014, but removed in an unspecified future version.

As someone mentioned earlier, deprecated does not mean that you cannot use a feature. It simply means that it would be unwise to use it, at least when it is possible that the database might be installed for use in a future version of SQL Server when the feature has been removed.

Moderation of submitted questions seems to be non-existent.

Kenneth Spencer

You never know: reading my book: "All about your computer" might just tell you something you never knew!
    lulu.com/kaspencer

• The question did provide me with an opportunity to research. I am normally quite uninterested in these options - have not used them ever, and know that they have been deprecated since a few versions back. But I did not know which of these are actually removed in SQL 2014. (And I first misread the question, thinking that one was right and the rest was wrong). So I searched the internet, checked all sources, then replied and found out that I had done my research better than the question author.

"deprecated in SQL2014" means the features still exist, but are slated for removal in a later version.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• sestell1 (11/19/2013)

Hmm, I wonder if the confusion comes from the 'replacement' section:

None.

ANSI_NULLS, ANSI_PADDING and CONCAT_NULLS_YIELDS_NULL will always be set to ON. SET OFFSETS will be unavailable.

I assume that indicates the state of these options once they are actually removed, not in SQL Server 2014.

+10. This is actually the case, i think. Probably this statement in the "replacement" section was misunderstood.

Agreed!

Absolutely.

I'm a bit surprised this question hasn't been corrected yet. Surely utter disinformation like this can't be allowed to stand. It's been there 4 days now.

Tom

• Hugo Kornelis (11/19/2013)

The question did provide me with an opportunity to research. I am normally quite uninterested in these options - have not used them ever, and know that they have been deprecated since a few versions back. But I did not know which of these are actually removed in SQL 2014. (And I first misread the question, thinking that one was right and the rest was wrong). So I searched the internet, checked all sources, then replied and found out that I had done my research better than the question author.

"deprecated in SQL2014" means the features still exist, but are slated for removal in a later version.

Hugo, this marks the first time I think I can correct you. "Deprecated" means that the feature will be present, for compatibility's sake, but your attempt to set it will be ignored.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply