sql server 2005 vs sql server 2008

• What are the differences between sql server 2005 and sql server 2008?

• A simple search would of pointed you here

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic459626-146-1.aspx

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Thanks...but this is not exactly what I am looking for. Listing few points of what and why will help?

• The link doesn't work because of a trailing blank. But paste the address, and it takes you to lots of information.

Edit: I retract my statement 🙂

• homebrew01 (1/11/2010)

The link doesn't work because of a trailing blank. But paste the address, and it takes you to lots of information.

Apologies , Link sorted

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Vivek29 (1/11/2010)

Thanks...but this is not exactly what I am looking for. Listing few points of what and why will help?

Only depends on what your trying to use. From the Development standpoint there are some new features like CDC or new data types.

From the administration standpoint the policy based management or resource governor features are some of the new stuff included in SQL 2008.

If you are looking from a companys perspective as to which edition to go with then you need to look at the bigger picture, like scalability, performance and security enhancements with SQL 2008.

Anything specific you are looking for....

HTH...

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• I am looking from the DBA perspective.

• A complete list of features in SQL 2008 can be viewed here

Listed below are some of the very good features for a DBA..

Transparent Data Encryption --> The ability to encrypt an entire database.

Backup Encryption--> Executed at backup time to prevent tampering.

External Key Management --> Storing Keys separate from the data.

Auditing--> Monitoring of data access.

Data Compression--> Fact Table size reduction and improved performance.

Resource Governor-->Restrict users or groups from consuming high levels or resources.

Hot Plug CPU-->Add CPUs on the fly.

Performance Studio--> Collection of performance monitoring tools.

Installation improvements--> Disk images and service pack uninstall options.

HTH...

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• Thanks.It helped.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply