SQL question ? How can we find all the occurrences of a text in a string

• Please

DECLARE @String AS VARCHAR(100)
    DECLARE @Search_String AS VARCHAR(100)

SET @String ='The SQL SERVER is one of the best applications of the Microsoft Worrld'
    SET @Search_String='the'

SELECT CHARINDEX(@Search_String,@String) As [First occurrence]--first occurence

--Find Last occurrence of any character/word in the string
    SELECT DATALENGTH(@String)-CHARINDEX(REVERSE(@Search_String),REVERSE(@String))-1 As [Last occurrence]

• mw112009 - Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:39 PM

Please

SET @String ='The SQL SERVER is one of the best applications of the Microsoft Worrld'
    SET @Search_String='the'

SELECT CHARINDEX(@Search_String,@String) As [First occurrence]--first occurence

--Find Last occurrence of any character/word in the string
    SELECT DATALENGTH(@String)-CHARINDEX(REVERSE(@Search_String),REVERSE(@String))-1 As [Last occurrence]

Do you actually need to know the character position of each occurrence in the string or are you just going for a count of the number of occurances?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Would like the position of each occurrence in a comma separated string.

• If you're going to use this on a regular basis I would probably turn it into a Scalar-valued Function so you can just pass in  the string and search string and get back the comma separated results.

SET @Search_String='the'

declare @i int = 1
    declare @stringLen int = LEN(@Search_String)
    declare @Result varchar(100) = ''

WHILE @i < LEN(@String)
    BEGIN

if SUBSTRING(@String,@i,@stringLen) = @Search_String
            begin
            set @Result = @Result + CAST(@i as varchar(100)) + ','
            end
        SET @i = @i + 1
    END

SET @Result = SUBSTRING(@Result,1,LEN(@Result) -1)

SELECT @Result

• Thanks, out of curiosity is there a way to get the start position of the nth occurrence ( if any )   without going into a WHILE LOOP. 
    Never mind if it is not there.

• Jeff Atherton - Friday, March 3, 2017 11:02 AM

If you're going to use this on a regular basis I would probably turn it into a Scalar-valued Function so you can just pass in  the string and search string and get back the comma separated results.

SET @Search_String='the'

declare @i int = 1

WHILE @i < LEN(@String)
    BEGIN

begin
            end
        SET @i = @i + 1
    END

SELECT @Result

not sure about this result......??  EDIT >>> what I was attempting to say was is the OP looking for the string "the" or the word "the"  ...code given is returning the string

SET @String ='The SQL SERVER is one of the best applications of the Microsoft World and therefore is any further proof required?'
    SET @Search_String='the'

declare @i int = 1

WHILE @i < LEN(@String)
    BEGIN

begin
       end
      SET @i = @i + 1
    END

SELECT @Result

• Why do you want to avoid the WHILE loop? I can't see this being a performance issue and if so what size string are you searching?  And if you just don't want to deal with the WHILE loop then put it in a function and just call the function when you need it.  Then you or your users never have to even know that a WHILE loop is being used.

• Here's an option that can be easily converted into an Inline Table-Valued function.

DECLARE @String AS VARCHAR(100),
       @Search_String AS VARCHAR(100),
       @Ocurrence int;

SELECT @String ='The SQL SERVER is one of the best applications of the Microsoft Worrld',
       @Search_String='the',
       @Ocurrence = 3;

WITH
    E(n) AS(
      SELECT n FROM (VALUES(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0))E(n)
    ),
    E2(n) AS(
      SELECT a.n FROM E a, E b
    ),
    E4(n) AS(
      SELECT a.n FROM E2 a, E2 b
    ),
    cteTally(n) AS(
      SELECT TOP(LEN(@String) - LEN(@Search_String) + 1) ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY (SELECT NULL)) n
      FROM E4
    ),
    cteOcurrences AS(
      SELECT n Position, ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY n) Ocurrence
      FROM cteTally
      WHERE SUBSTRING(@String, n, LEN(@Search_String)) = @Search_String
    )
    SELECT *
    FROM cteOcurrences
    WHERE Ocurrence = @Ocurrence;

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Jeff Atherton - Friday, March 3, 2017 11:47 AM

Why do you want to avoid the WHILE loop? I can't see this being a performance issue and if so what size string are you searching?  And if you just don't want to deal with the WHILE loop then put it in a function and just call the function when you need it.  Then you or your users never have to even know that a WHILE loop is being used.

Why do you want to leave a potential performance problem available for anyone? What will happen when they start running this against millions of rows?
    Putting the while loop into a function will only mask the problem.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

• J Livingston SQL - Friday, March 3, 2017 11:42 AM

not sure about this result......??

SET @String ='The SQL SERVER is one of the best applications of the Microsoft World and therefore is any further proof required?'
    SET @Search_String='the'

declare @i int = 1

WHILE @i < LEN(@String)
    BEGIN

begin
       end
      SET @i = @i + 1
    END

SELECT @Result

Good catch. Thanks for the QA Testing.  Here's an Update:

SET @Search_String='the '

declare @i int = 1

WHILE @i < LEN(@String)
    BEGIN

if (SUBSTRING(@String,@i,@stringLen) = @Search_String) AND (SUBSTRING(@String,@i + @stringLen,1) = CHAR(32))
      begin
      end
    SET @i = @i + 1
    END

SELECT @Result

Although this would probably still miss one if the search string was the last word in the string.

• Luis Cazares - Friday, March 3, 2017 11:52 AM

Why do you want to leave a potential performance problem available for anyone? What will happen when they start running this against millions of rows?

Is it a problem though? That was my question. What's the data size? How do you they plan on using it? Only need it for one record every now and then? Or do they really need to run this against a set of millions of records in one pass? :unsure:

• Jeff Atherton - Friday, March 3, 2017 12:05 PM

Luis Cazares - Friday, March 3, 2017 11:52 AM

Is it a problem though? That was my question. What's the data size? How do you they plan on using it? Only need it for one record every now and then? Or do they really need to run this against a set of millions of records in one pass? :unsure:

Remember Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

At the moment it might not be a problem, but why would you want to wait until it is urgent to code it the best possible way? I've had to fix a lot of legacy code because people thought that it wasn't a problem at the moment.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:

• Luis Cazares - Friday, March 3, 2017 12:17 PM

Remember Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

At the moment it might not be a problem, but why would you want to wait until it is urgent to code it the best possible way? I've had to fix a lot of legacy code because people thought that it wasn't a problem at the moment.

The way the question was stated the request was to pass a string and a search string and then get back a comma separated list of the starting positions for each occurrence of that search string. That sounds a lot like this is going to be one at a time. Now if they need to do a SELECT and have this result as a column for millions of records then that's another story. But that's not what was stated.

• And then it actually turns out the string to be searched is actually a column in a table with a million rows of data.

• mw112009 - Friday, March 3, 2017 6:49 AM

Would like the position of each occurrence in a comma separated string.

Apologies for the questions but I want to make sure that we get it right for you.  When you say "occurrence", do you mean only whole words separated by spaces or should the instance of "the" in the word (for example) "brother" count as an instance of what you're looking for, as well?

Also, what is this for?  I mean what are you using this search for?  If we knew the end goal, we might be able to find a better way.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply