SQL Procedures

• A question on good SQL procedures.

Is it advisable to put the Blackberry services \ Data on a Production SQL Box?

Thanks

CY

• Are these related to SQL Server or just other services?

I don't think you want to put anything else on a SQL box if you can avoid it. Have competition for resources, especially memory, is something you want to avoid.

• I may have mislead a bit. Our Network engineeer who wanted to have his blackberry up and runnning installed his Blackberry management database on a production SQL box. And yes it does degrade the system resources. I was just checking on if it's a good SQL practice to install stuff like that on a production box, just for the sake of getting your email.

• This is why all changes to production servers should be tested in a non-production environment first. I don't think that putting email processes on a SQL Server is good practice. Our servers are used only for SQL Server and associated web pages. Email is done via SMTP to a dedicated mail server, which is probably the best way to deal with Blackberry services as well.

• Do not put the BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) services on a SQL server. You will be asking for nothing but problems in the form of reboots whenever your BES decides to act up. Do notget me wrong, RIM software and Blackberry are good and great things respectively ... but ... you know ...

Also, their installation instructions for v4.1 list the following installation options:

• MSDE (database) and application on the same server
    • SQL Server already installed (database) and application on the same server
    • SQL Server on seoparate server and application on a different server

The documentation and instructions are 'sparse' at best for the last option. Let me know if you nneed a hand separating things.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Do not put the BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) services on a SQL server. You will be asking for nothing but problems in the form of reboots whenever your BES decides to act up. Do notget me wrong, RIM software and Blackberry are good and great things respectively ... but ... you know ...

Also, their installation instructions for v4.1 list the following installation options:

The documentation and instructions are 'sparse' at best for the last option. Let me know if you nneed a hand separating things.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply