SQL on NLB

• How NLB (Network load balancing) canbe achieved for SQL Server?

• Not going to come right out and say this can't be done, even though that was my original thought, but I will say that it most likely isn't something many of us would recommend.

If it could be done, you might need a combination of both NLB and peer to peer replication of all data. Could be a real mess.

My question at this point is what are you trying to accomplish? There may be other options available depeing on the answer to this particular question.

• In some discussion i come across the question on how load to the SQL Server canbe balanced; so Just wanted to learn the different options and solutions from the expert people on NLB with SQL Server.

I know there is not any out of box feature as such and peer to peer topology could be explored.

Please share the thoughts

• Not up on peer to peer replication, so can't provide you anything more than you could learn by starting with Books Online. There may be others here that could tell you more, but they may tell you the same thing, read BOL, and then ask questions where your understanding falls short.

Again, have to ask, what are you attempting to accomplish or is this simply an educational endeavour?

• thanks Lynn.

no, its not any implementation requirement. its just learning point of view. I always come acorss this question when talking to oracle DBA's regading migration to SQL Server.

Oracle RAC provides load balancing. Is there any equivalent feature in SQL? If not what is work around soultion ?

• vidya_pande (3/31/2010)

thanks Lynn.

no, its not any implementation requirement. its just learning point of view. I always come acorss this question when talking to oracle DBA's regading migration to SQL Server.

Oracle RAC provides load balancing. Is there any equivalent feature in SQL? If not what is work around soultion ?

It depends what you are trying to accomplish.

• Depending on what type of load you are looking to spread - you can look at partitioning and/or federation. SQl doesn't have something that's an exact equivalent to RAC, but then again - as far as I know Oracle doesn't have anything exactly like federation either.

Also - you might care to look at the new SQL datacenter edition (it's in 2008 R2 due out in a month or so) which from what I understand has beefed up scale-out options as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• vidya_pande (3/31/2010)

thanks Lynn.

Get a bigger, faster server so it can do all the work on one server.

• I want to implement this feature in my Production...NLB of Web Server with SQL Server Peer to Peer replication.

which one is better Merge or Peer to Peer replication for High Avalibilty?

Thanks

• forsqlserver (5/10/2012)

I want to implement this feature in my Production...NLB of Web Server with SQL Server Peer to Peer replication.

which one is better Merge or Peer to Peer replication for High Avalibilty?

:exclamation: 2 Year old thread

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply