SQL Joins

• This article contains all the basic knowledge of joins,with the relevant and proper examples and explanations....

• Very good article.

• I thought it was full of hot air... 😎

[font="Courier New"]____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Remember as you walk down lifes road, don't forget to stop and pee on the bushes - Thordog
    [/font]

• Nice refresher! Thank you.

• nice article, but I'm puzzled by the statement that you "feel that people are afraid of Joins in SQL Server".

I mean, joins (inner/equi, at least) are one of the most basic things that someone has to know about T-SQL, learned in the same breath as 'select','update','delete','where', etc ...

Now if you said that outer, self and cross-apply joins are what people are afraid (or more likely unaware) of, I'd buy it. Otherwise, I'd say that the person didn't know jack about SQL if they don't know what a simple innner join is.

• Hey Vivek, that's a really good article nicely written, expecting a few more tutorials/articles from you, keep up the good work:-)

• This article has given me a gud understanding of Joins in SQL.

The main thing about this article is that is its simplicity with which it describes Joins.

Thanx a lot.

• I would like to see the article expanded to explain the difference between specifying joins in the FROM and WHERE clauses. In my experience, failure to understand the difference when using outer joins causes more problems than understanding the basic join types.

• You can't do an outer join from the where clause...

Random Technical Stuff[/url]

• ta.bu.shi.da.yu (8/16/2009)

You can't do an outer join from the where clause...

You can't in a DB with compatibility set 90 or higher (ie SQL 2005 or 2008). It was possible on SQL 2000, but not recommended.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yow! But why would you want to?

Random Technical Stuff[/url]

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply